Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Conection could be not be established

Author  Topic 

JamesNewZealand
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-02 : 02:39:38
When trying to connect to my SQL Server I'm getting the following error:

A connection could not be established to (local).

Reason: Logon failed for user.

Please vertify SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration properties (by right-clicking on the (local) node) and try again.

SQL Server is definately running, but I'm unable to connect.

I've tried changing the ODBC settings but I can't get past the "MIcrosoft SQL Server DNS Configuration" window. I choose "With Windows NT authentication using the network lognin ID" and click "Conect to SQL Server to obtain default setting for the additional congiruation options" and click "Next" but I get stopped by the following error:

connection failed:
SQLState: '28000'
SQL Server Error: 18456
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user machine1\Administrator'

Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to do to fix this? If it helps, this all seems to have started occuring since I changed the Administrator password

afrika
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2706 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-02 : 07:20:04
Welcome to SQLTeam

>>this all seems to have started occuring since I changed the Administrator password

Change the admin password back and it would work. This happened 'cause you choose windows authentication moded during install.
Go to Top of Page

JamesNewZealand
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-02 : 14:50:58
Problem is, I can't remember the old administrator password now, any tips?
Go to Top of Page

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-02 : 16:12:43
Can you see if a domain admin can connect to the server with his credentials? It sounds as though someone may have dropped the builtin\administrators login. Do you have the sa password, or is the server strictly windows authentication only?
Go to Top of Page

JamesNewZealand
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-02 : 16:43:04
Thanks for the response.

Yes I can logon as the 'Administrator' without any problems at all, and SQL Server is running. I just can't connect to it in any shape or for. I've got no idea what the 'sa' password is, and yes windows authentication is being used.
Go to Top of Page

JamesNewZealand
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-04 : 17:25:06
Could I get some further help please?
Go to Top of Page

JamesNewZealand
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-08 : 04:23:18
I changed it to mixed mode and managed to guess the "sa" password so I'm in!

Someone had changed the Bulletin/Administrators group to "Deny".
Go to Top of Page

afrika
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2706 Posts

Posted - 2006-02-08 : 09:19:31
>> ...so I'm in!

Nice to know
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -