Please start any new threads on our new site at http://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

Our new SQL Server Forums are live! Come on over! We've restricted the ability to create new threads on these forums.

SQL Server Forums
Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2000)
 SQL Server Error
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TJ
Posting Yak Master

USA
201 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2001 :  15:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd post this issue in this forum today since I received such wonderful help yesterday. If you are unable to help me, but know of another site that could, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Teresa

Issue:

I have two servers which I've successfully linked together.

I am able to link server2 to server1, run a query that extracts data from server1 and inserted it into server2.

Once the data in server2 is updated, I then need to link server1 to server2, read in the data, and update fields on server1.

I can connect and log onto Server2 from Server1. However, when I run a select statement

ie: select * from NTSSQL2.ih_accounts.dbo.ih_accounts

I get the following error message:

'Specified SQL server not found.'

This is not an issue when running the select from server2 to server1.

nr
SQLTeam MVY

United Kingdom
12543 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2001 :  19:39:11  Show Profile  Visit nr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I take it you do have a linked server NTSSQL2 on server1

>> I then need to link server1 to server2
Sounds like you may be adding a linked server? If this is done in the same SP as the select then this will fail to compile as it won't be ab;e to resolve the server.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

TJ
Posting Yak Master

USA
201 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  12:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dropped the link from server2 to server1 and then ran another proc that linked server1 to server2. It creates the link and logs onto server2, but when I try to run code it says it cannot find the specified sql server. I'm doing all of this linking, logging, etc. as sa. Is there a setting on the server that needs turned on, reallocated, something?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000