Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Recursive Directory String Drop Down

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-21 : 00:29:01
Scott writes "I have been doing a lot of recursive selects lately, but one that seems to elude me, is the most effective way to do a recursive Join on a table with the following design:

ID | ParentID | Section

Which would contatin
1 | null | Programming
2 | 1 | VBScript
3 | 2 | Tutorials
etc.

So that the stored procedure returns data like this:

ID | Recursive Section Listing

Such as:

1 | Programming
2 | Programming > VBScript
3 | Programming > VBScript > Tutorials
4 | Programming > Java

etc.

This would then allow me to do some nice bread crumbs, and to put in a drop down menu for users to select.

Thanks!
Scott."

AndrewMurphy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2916 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-21 : 04:34:27
search here for items on "heirarchy" or "tree-structure"...i think a solution to your problem might already exist.

Go to Top of Page

rrb
SQLTeam Poet Laureate

1479 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-21 : 19:14:06
You might also want to look at
[url]http://www.nigelrivett.com[/url]

Edited by - rrb on 03/21/2002 21:07:14
Go to Top of Page

jcelko
Esteemed SQL Purist

547 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-22 : 11:45:40
The usual example of a tree structure in SQL books is called an adjacency list model and it looks like this:

CREATE TABLE Personnel
(emp CHAR(10) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
boss CHAR(10) DEFAULT NULL REFERENCES Personnel(emp),
salary DECIMAL(6,2) NOT NULL DEFAULT 100.00);

Personnel
emp boss salary
===========================
'Albert' 'NULL' 1000.00
'Bert' 'Albert' 900.00
'Chuck' 'Albert' 900.00
'Donna' 'Chuck' 800.00
'Eddie' 'Chuck' 700.00
'Fred' 'Chuck' 600.00

Another way of representing trees is to show them as nested sets. Since SQL is a set oriented language, this is a better model than the usual adjacency list approach you see in most text books. Let us define a simple Personnel table like this, ignoring the left (lft) and right (rgt) columns for now. This problem is always given with a column for the employee and one for his boss in the textbooks. This table without the lft and rgt columns is called the adjacency list model, after the graph theory technique of the same name; the pairs of nodes are adjacent to each other.

CREATE TABLE Personnel
(emp CHAR(10) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
lft INTEGER NOT NULL UNIQUE CHECK (lft > 0),
rgt INTEGER NOT NULL UNIQUE CHECK (rgt > 1),
CONSTRAINT order_okay CHECK (lft < rgt) );

Personnel
emp lft rgt
======================
'Albert' 1 12
'Bert' 2 3
'Chuck' 4 11
'Donna' 5 6
'Eddie' 7 8
'Fred' 9 10

The organizational chart would look like this as a directed graph:

Albert (1,12)
/ / Bert (2,3) Chuck (4,11)
/ | / | / | / | Donna (5,6) Eddie (7,8) Fred (9,10)

The first table is denormalized in several ways. We are modeling both the personnel and the organizational chart in one table. But for the sake of saving space, pretend that the names are job titles and that we have another table which describes the personnel that hold those positions.

Another problem with the adjacency list model is that the boss and employee columns are the same kind of thing (i.e. names of personnel), and therefore should be shown in only one column in a normalized table. To prove that this is not normalized, assume that "Chuck" changes his name to "Charles"; you have to change his name in both columns and several places. The defining characteristic of a normalized table is that you have one fact, one place, one time.

The final problem is that the adjacency list model does not model subordination. Authority flows downhill in a hierarchy, but If I fire Chuck, I disconnect all of his subordinates from Albert. There are situations (i.e. water pipes) where this is true, but that is not the expected situation in this case.

To show a tree as nested sets, replace the nodes with ovals, then nest subordinate ovals inside each other. The root will be the largest oval and will contain every other node. The leaf nodes will be the innermost ovals with nothing else inside them and the nesting will show the hierarchical relationship. The rgt and lft columns (I cannot use the reserved words LEFT and RIGHT in SQL) are what shows the nesting.

If that mental model does not work, then imagine a little worm crawling anti-clockwise along the tree. Every time he gets to the left or right side of a node, he numbers it. The worm stops when he gets all the way around the tree and back to the top.

This is a natural way to model a parts explosion, since a final assembly is made of physically nested assemblies that final break down into separate parts.

At this point, the boss column is both redundant and denormalized, so it can be dropped. Also, note that the tree structure can be kept in one table and all the information about a node can be put in a second table and they can be joined on employee number for queries.

To convert the graph into a nested sets model think of a little worm crawling along the tree. The worm starts at the top, the root, makes a complete trip around the tree. When he comes to a node, he puts a number in the cell on the side that he is visiting and increments his counter. Each node will get two numbers, one of the right side and one for the left. Computer Science majors will recognize this as a modified preorder tree traversal algorithm. Finally, drop the unneeded Personnel.boss column which used to represent the edges of a graph.

This has some predictable results that we can use for building queries. The root is always (left = 1, right = 2 * (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM TreeTable)); leaf nodes always have (left + 1 = right); subtrees are defined by the BETWEEN predicate; etc. Here are two common queries which can be used to build others:

1. An employee and all their Supervisors, no matter how deep the tree.

SELECT P2.*
FROM Personnel AS P1, Personnel AS P2
WHERE P1.lft BETWEEN P2.lft AND P2.rgt
AND P1.emp = :myemployee;

2. The employee and all subordinates. There is a nice symmetry here.

SELECT P1.*
AND P2.emp = :myemployee;

3. Add a GROUP BY and aggregate functions to these basic queries and you have hierarchical reports. For example, the total salaries which each employee controls:

SELECT P2.emp, SUM(S1.salary)
FROM Personnel AS P1, Personnel AS P2,
Salaries AS S1
AND P1.emp = S1.emp
GROUP BY P2.emp;

4. To find the level of each node, so you can print the tree as an indented listing.

DECLARE Out_Tree CURSOR FOR
SELECT P1.lft, COUNT(P2.emp) AS indentation, P1.emp
GROUP BY P1.emp
ORDER BY P1.lft;

5. The nested set model has an implied ordering of siblings which the adjacency list model does not. To insert a new node as the rightmost sibling.

BEGIN
DECLARE right_most_sibling INTEGER;

SET right_most_sibling
= (SELECT rgt
FROM Personnel
WHERE emp = :your_boss);

UPDATE Personnel
SET lft = CASE WHEN lft > right_most_sibling
THEN lft + 2
ELSE lft END,
rgt = CASE WHEN rgt >= right_most_sibling
THEN rgt + 2
ELSE rgt END
WHERE rgt >= right_most_sibling;

INSERT INTO Personnel (emp, lft, rgt)
VALUES ('New Guy', right_most_sibling, (right_most_sibling + 1))
END;

6. To convert a nested sets model into an adjacency list model:

SELECT B.emp AS boss, P.emp
FROM Personnel AS P
LEFT OUTER JOIN
Personnel AS B
ON B.lft
= (SELECT MAX(lft)
FROM Personnel AS S
WHERE P.lft > S.lft
AND P.lft < S.rgt);

For details, see the chapter in my book JOE CELKO'S SQL FOR SMARTIES (Morgan-Kaufmann, 1999, second edition)

http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci537290,00.html

http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid13_gci801943,00.html

--CELKO--
Joe Celko, SQL Guru
Go to Top of Page

AndrewMurphy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2916 Posts

Posted - 2002-12-12 : 08:09:56
just working through Joe's contribution at the bottom......

item 4.
"To find the level of each node, so you can print the tree as an indented listing. "

GROUP BY P1.emp
ORDER BY P1.lft;

as written above doesn't work....it SHOULD READ...

GROUP BY P1.emp, p1.lft
ORDER BY P1.lft;

Hope the above helps anybody dipping their toes into this subject like I am currently.....now I must move on to the next level of difficulty.

Go to Top of Page

neeraj_sharma
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-12 : 06:41:27
Thanks for this thread i was looking for it :)

Neeraj Prasad

Tutorial Sql Server
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-13 : 02:13:07
quote:
Originally posted by neeraj_sharma

Thanks for this thread i was looking for it :)

Neeraj Prasad

See here for a simple solution posted by TG

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109492

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VmBlogs
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -