Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 Replication, MSDE<>SQLServer

Author  Topic 

MrMcauber
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-23 : 05:42:25
Hi All, I'm new here, first question so go easy on me, this may sound dumb but I am pretty new to SQL.

OK, some background. I have a possible project coming up and need to figure out a good approach. Its for a company with multiple office (but little money, hmmmm.. dont they all?) They want a database in each office but they want all offices to have the same data. So replication is in order (errr... unless you think different?). Now the data does not have to be upto-date 100% of the time, they can replicate at the end or start of a new business day.

So my thoughts were, give them application (we write, c# or vb) with an MSDE database in each office. Use an internet host who offers SQL Sever as the deal. Then using the SQL Server as the center of a star all the offices can conect to the internet and replicate/Synchronise with the Internet Based SQL Server.

So, with my limited SQL/MSDE knowledge I am unsure how feasible this is. So, what do you think? Is this feasible? Is this a good/bad way, is there a better (cheap) way of doing it? Can I (I think yes) programatically get the MSDE to replicate/synch with the internet based SQL Server? What do I need to watch out for (security, practicalities etc)?

Many thanks for taking the time to read, and apologies if this is a bit of a dumb ass question..

Cheers,
MrMcauber

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-23 : 09:30:21
I only wish more people posted their questions like you did! Clear explanation of your requirements, you've done some preliminary research, these are godsends!

One question: how do the branch offices connect to the main office? Via dialup? Or do they have permanent Internet connections? If they have the latter, is it feasible to simply maintain one server and have the application use it, or is offline access mandatory?

In addition to replication, take a look at log shipping and DTS. I don't know if they're better or worse, or whether MSDE can utilize them well enough. They may offer a solution if replication isn't viable for you.

Books Online has all the details, if you need a copy you can download it here:

http://www.sqlteam.com/redir.asp?ItemID=6801

Or view it online here:

http://www.sqlteam.com/redir.asp?ItemID=1849

Go to Top of Page

MrMcauber
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-23 : 12:25:04
thanks for your input robvolk.

OK, what I did not mention was that they also want the data to drive a website, hence my thought of using an Internet Hosted SQL Server at the centre. Kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak, costs reduced.

To keep costs down there can be no permanent connections so dial up access to the internet is what we are looking at, since data changes are going to be relatively small doing replication at the start and end of each working day would be more than adequate. Due to no permanent connections offline access will be mandatory. My research so far suggests Merge replication as the way forward.

Thanks for the links, I have downloaded the books online and forsee lots more research today :)

I choose (or am looking at choosing) MSDE because its cheap and since it is based (correct me if I am wrong) on SQL Server technology I guessed setting up replication would be easier, more efficient and less prone to problems than say Access as the offline/application DB.

Hmmm sorry..... another question :)
Lets say they had offices all over the US, and we want to replicate 1 table (just an example). However lets say, all the offices in Florida only wanted to share the data with other offices in Florida, not the rest of the US. Can this be done? The central SQL Server would have ALL the data but the remotes would only have the information pertenant to their state? Make sense?

Anyway, I am pushing my luck with all these questions now :-) The last one is not soooo important anyway. I will be buying lots of SQL Server books next week!!!!

Thanks again!

Cheers,
MrMcauber

Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-23 : 13:05:18
You can totally annihilate 2 birds with one stone by having all applications as web apps (ASP, PHP, ASP.Net) If your web hosting company is also your SQL hosting company, then connecting the web server and SQL Server will be a breeze. You should also be able to remotely manage your SQL Server using Enterprise Manager. Wouldn't want to try it over a dial-up, but it's possible. Having only one server means you don't need to replicate anything.

The web approach is IMHO a nice idea because it more or less forces you to get really efficient with the code. You also get pointed towards reducing network traffic as much as possible. And it's not that difficult to write an ASP app that has all the functionality of a regular VB or C++ app, especially if you use .Net. Unless you are required to deliver a stand-alone app, it might be a good idea to apply all of the functionality to the web app and use it alone. It will also cut down tremendously on code maintenance, software delivery & distribution, updates etc.

If you're new to web development it's a tricky transition, because you have to get used to things like statelessness (a setting isn't maintained between 2 web pages). Once you do get the hang of it...all I can say is I don't EVER want to develop another stand-alone app again! The fact that I can completely re-write an application without changing the web address, and everyone gets the same version hassle-free, is unbelievably convenient. It was hard enough keeping ONE OFFICE up-to-date with regular apps!

You're right to go with MSDE over Access, there are some relatively minor issues with MSDE, mostly on database size and number of connections. If you will have a full-blown SQL Server installed somewhere and you go with a web-only application model, I don't think you'll even need to use MSDE (this also lets you avoid the issues of Florida tables only replicating to Florida offices, 'cause...you won't need replication!)

As far as books are concerned, get these 3 and you're all set, you won't need more:

Inside SQL Server by Microsoft Press (get the one for the version you're using)
Professional SQL Server Programming by Rob Vieira/Wrox publishing, annnnnnnd of course:
The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL by Ken Henderson

Also look at any Wrox books on ASP and databases, if you're going the web route, they are uniformly very good to excellent.

In addition to the SQL Team bookstore also look at [url]http://www.bookpool.com[/url] they always have good discounts on books, and I think they're having a blowout on Microsoft Press this week.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -