SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Forums
 SQL Server 6.5 \ SQL Server 7.0
 Read an exported 6.5 database
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

johan08
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  12:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

When I try to restore a SQL 6.5 Backup .dat file to either SQL server 7 or SQl server 2000 I get the following error message:
Error 3242: The File on device 'C:\MyBU.DAT' is not a valid Microsoft Tape Format backup set.

Just FYI:
- I know that the regular sql backups (v7. 2000, etc) in .BAK files use MTF.
- My .DAT file is really a v 6.5 backup; it is not a "Database Device" file. I know that, because I made the backup myself under 6.5

Any help is welcome,

Thanks,
Johan
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
36661 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  12:57:39  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If my memory is correct, you can't restore a 6.5 backup to a 7.0 or 2000 server. You have to run the upgrade wizard or use other manual methods.

But it's been over 10 years since I've touched 6.5, so my memory could be bad.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

johan08
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  17:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tara,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

But, could you take a look at the beginning of this thread where the consensus is that this (restore .dat to V7 or v2000) is THE way to go?

Was everyone (including yourself) mistaken in 2011? I, know, even goddesses can make mistakes ...

Johan
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
36661 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  17:13:18  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say that was the consensus. I'd say I was incorrect in 2011, and the others followed along because they hadn't used 6.5. Those who've used 6.5 is a small group of people.

I just did a google search on the subject, and you can't restore a 6.5 backup file into anything but 6.5. You have to use the upgrade wizard to get it into 7 or 2000.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

chadmat
The Chadinator

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  18:39:03  Show Profile  Visit chadmat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't think you could either, I was surprised when I read the first part of this thread, and it appeared as if the OP got his data, so I thought I had learned something new today (That you could restore a 6.5 backup to 7.0 or 2000). Turns out I didn't learn somethng new, and my original thought was right. I am still wondering how the OP got his data though.

-Chad
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
36661 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  18:47:40  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chadmat

I didn't think you could either, I was surprised when I read the first part of this thread, and it appeared as if the OP got his data, so I thought I had learned something new today (That you could restore a 6.5 backup to 7.0 or 2000). Turns out I didn't learn somethng new, and my original thought was right. I am still wondering how the OP got his data though.

I think I was using the "restore" word loosely in my post from last year. I think I was saying you need to get it into one of those versions so that you can then export the data. I think I'll go back and fix that post up to avoid any further confusion.

I assume the OP restored the file into 6.5 to get the data out into the format he needed.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
36661 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  18:48:33  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, I see Peter helped the OP do the restore. I think Peter restored into 6.5 for him.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

Sweden
30115 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2012 :  05:06:51  Show Profile  Visit SwePeso's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I created a VM with NT 4 and installed SQL Server 6.5 into it.

N 56°04'39.26"
E 12°55'05.63"
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

Sweden
30115 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2012 :  05:06:59  Show Profile  Visit SwePeso's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I created a VM with NT 4 and installed SQL Server 6.5 into it.

N 56°04'39.26"
E 12°55'05.63"
Go to Top of Page

johan08
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  16:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Thank you for looking into this once more. I've decided to take the lazy route which is to export the information in a few key 6.5 tables that we're interested in to tab delimited files with bcp and BULK IMPORT into a new SQL 2005 database.

Johan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000