Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Team Interview - request guidance from DBA's

Author  Topic 

kelleyb
Yak Posting Veteran

61 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-19 : 13:44:00
I've been laid off for approximately 6 months and have had only two interviews in that time. While my skills range from huge Windows-based networks to multimedia composition, this is the first interview I've ever had for a DBA position. If I wasn't nervous enough about interviewing for a technology with more tentacles than the human nervous system, this interview will be conducted as a team (gang-up-on-the-new-guy) interview.

Now, I'm a killer candidate for team interviews on server infrastructure and networking, but I'm VERY nervous about a team interview for a technology that I've never been professionally employed to administer.

If you are a professionally employed MS DBA, I would sure appreciate your comments. Being unemployed for as long as I have been, you can understand how important this job is to me.

1. Is a team interview for a DBA position much different from a team interview for another discipline?
2. If you were on the team already, what kinds of things would you ask me about my expertise?
3. If you were the interviewing candidate, and you hadn't touched a lot of code in the last 6 months, what might you do to loosen up and exercise SQL brain cells that might be a bit dusty?

If you could, please respond to these questions as if I were a seasoned veteran. I will understand what you are talking about, or will know where to research if I don't.

Folks, thanx for your help...sincerely! You can't fathom how much getting this (or "any") job means to me. Either I get another technology job in the next couple of weeks or I'm off to the world of construction during the day and bartending at night.

-Brian

"Grove giveth and Gates taketh away." - Bob Metcalfe (inventor of Ethernet) on the trend of hardware speedups not being able to keep up with software demands.

ValterBorges
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1429 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-19 : 14:38:35
Read SQLTeam Every Day

Go to Top of Page

scacek
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2002-06-19 : 15:01:57
Brian,
You have a point about SQL Server being a technology that has MANY facets. I have found that Team Interviews are generally ALL different. It all depends on the company and the business they are in. If I were asking questions in a Team Interview, it would be basically things about what the position entailed. Meaning, if I were to hire you as a SQL DBA because I needed one for a Microsoft SMS Server, then my questions would be more geared to backups and what SMS experience you've had. If the job was to be a DBA for a WEB based application, then my questions would be more geared to WEB technologies and your past experience.

In giving you advice on what to brush up on, I can only say that backups are a common denominator to most SQL shops. Scripting backups, data exchanges, and maybe even reading up on the latest SQL XML technologies might be of help. But again, it all depends on the position you’re applying for.

Best of luck to you! I hope you find a position soon.

Regards,

Kelley

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -