Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2000)
 How to check user accounts to avoid it expiring

Author  Topic 

jmatty2000
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2012-02-29 : 12:02:10
Hi

I've been asked to make sure that the user account for running xp_cmdshell does not expire. Otherwise I find that I have to reboot the server(s) every 2 months or so.

Can anyone tell me where to check which user account is relevent to run this or where to check if the account expires.

The version of SQL is version 2000 and the servers are running Ms Windows Server 2003.

Much appreciated to anyone who can help.

Thanks
Matthew

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2012-02-29 : 12:31:14
It's the SQL Server service account. Look in the services applet for this. Actually, in SQL 2000 you can see it in Enterprise Manager, by right-clicking the instance, go to properties.
Go to Top of Page

jmatty2000
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2012-02-29 : 16:22:05
Hi Russell
Thats what I thought. I'm not at work but I think its set to be Local System - any idea which account this really is please.

Thanks
Matthew
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2012-02-29 : 19:22:06
Local System is a special built-in account for services. It is not associated with a domain user. There is no password and the account doesn't expire.
Go to Top of Page

jmatty2000
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-01 : 07:27:39
Hi Russell
The actual problem is that if I run any xp_cmdshell command it outputs :
NULL
When I reboot the server, it fixes this - this why I've been asked to check the SQL accounts. Obviously that can't be the cause.

Would you have any idea why this happens. We find that we have to reboot servers once every two or three months.

Cheers
Matthew
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-01 : 14:22:44
What kind of output are you expecting? You're harvesting the output and using it?

The exact same command that returns NULL returns a value(s) after reboot? What command are you executing that does this?
Go to Top of Page

jmatty2000
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-02 : 11:55:17
Hi Russell

The above example using dir.exe is just an example to say that is should output something but if its doesn't then I'm not able to check why some of my companies bespoke exe's are not working and so can never get to the bottom of why the company exe's are not working.

Someone else has come back to me to try this :-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824422
to increase the non-interactive desktop heap by 256 KB or by 512 KB

I followed this before but I wasn't convinced as server still got the same problem about 2 monthes later again.

Would you know if there is any way to not reboot after following this KB? to prove to myself that this fixes it.

Thanks
Matt
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-02 : 12:50:50
Seems you found the fix. Can try setting it even higher.

But, with SQL 2000 on Win2000, I'd likely recommend weekly reboots anyway. What OS are you running.

How much RAM on the box and have you set the max memory setting in SQL Server to leave enough?

Might be time to begin thinking about upgrading. SQL Server 2000 Mainstream Support ended 4 years ago, and extended support ends next year.
Go to Top of Page

jacoboram75
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-06 : 05:24:35
When I reboot the server, it fixes this - this why I've been asked to check the SQL accounts. Obviously that can't be the cause.

Would you have any idea why this happens. We find that we have to reboot servers once every two or three months.

-----------------------------
http://www.travestibestmodel.com/
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-06 : 11:21:15
Memory leak probably. What do you have the Max Memory set to in SQL and how much RAM onboard?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -