Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 SQL database connection problems

Author  Topic 

Spekmaster
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2012-05-05 : 16:09:47
Hello all,

I'm trying to set up a database connection (for te first time) between the following:

- Windows XP embedded device with MS SQL server 2005 running. (database is stored here)
- Laptop Windows 7 with MS SQL server 2008 R2.

Both are in a LAN.
I keep getting the following error:

===================================

Could not retrieve table list. (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard)

===================================

Login timeout expired
A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.
SQL Server Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFF]. (Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0)

------------------------------
Program Location:

bij System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)
bij System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
bij System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
bij System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
bij System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
bij System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
bij Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.DtsWizard.SQLServerForm.ResolveDefaultCatalog()

Also tried this in with cmd.exe:

SQLCMD -E -S 192.168.1.2/SQLEXPRESS

...but i get the same error.

- Firewall on the XP device is enabled.
- 2005 server is running and remote access is enabled

Can someone give me a little help? (or the solution
)

tnx!

dwm
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-05-05 : 19:05:11
Hi,

It could be that TCP/IP connections are disabled on the SQL Server you are trying to access. The link below gives an idea of how to enable this.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlexpress/archive/2005/05/05/415084.aspx

Cheers,
dwm
Go to Top of Page

Spekmaster
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2012-05-06 : 03:43:13
Hi dwm,

I've seen that article before and it did not solve my problem.
(like i said in the first post, remote acces is enabled)

but tnx anyway :D

Here a little more information:

The XP device i'm talking about comes up and running with the SQL 2005 server from the makers. The manual only talks about how to set up a connection on your pc/laptop using SQL Server 2008 Management Studio Express (SSMSE).
I downloaded SQL Server 2008 R2 and i use the Import and Export Data tool to set up the database connection.
(That should work right??)

We have about 40 devices running in the city here, all at different company's.
I took one to my home and connect it on my LAN so firewall problems shouldn't be the thing.

I think the problem is on my laptop...but not sure.
Go to Top of Page

Spekmaster
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2012-05-12 : 14:14:32
Problem solved!

I tried to connect like this: 192.168.1.2/SQLEXPRESS
just as the manual discribes.

But when i remove the SQLEXPRESS part, it works!
(Just the ip adress and login name + pass..)

next step is connecting and import database using an android phone.
lets see how that works!

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -