Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Bar Code Scanner and generation

Author  Topic 

alantaylor618
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2012-05-29 : 01:53:56
Hello, I am a school teacher. I have a lot of books for my students reading. I want to make up a system that I can create barcodes for my students and scan books for checkout. I am using Windows xp and .net winforms to finish the task. But I have no source for doing that. I am also wondering if my HTC sense could be used for scanning. Waiting for your help!!

baronross987
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-05-29 : 05:26:45
Hi, first you need to figure out which barcode you should use. Then choose a control for .NET WinForms. And I am pretty sure your smart phone will be OK to scan it. But I suggest you to find a scanner if you have many books to deal with.
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2012-05-29 : 12:55:55
I need to drive nails into wood, and I would like to use a thermo nuclear device..is it possible?

I would just Print Numeric Lables and put them in each book, then when I hand the books out, I would record which kid got which book, and that book's number...no?

How many books are we talking about?

Is this the Library of Congress? I don't think they even use barcoding.
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2012-05-29 : 12:58:39
They have a Control Number

http://lccn.loc.gov/17020816

Go to Top of Page

Dana_4
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-05-29 : 23:46:15
quote:
Originally posted by alantaylor618

Hello, I am a school teacher. I have a lot of books for my students reading. I want to make up a system that I can create barcodes for my students and scan books for checkout. I am using Windows xp and .net winforms to finish the task. But I have no source for doing that. I am also wondering if my HTC sense could be used for scanning. Waiting for your help!!

According to the barcode type you may need the ISBN which designed for books. Details you could refer to the wiki explanation :) Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2012-05-30 : 00:05:49
A quick & easy way i can think off using have your student holding the books on your chest and you snap of a picture of it. (Something like what Rob did )

Jokes aside. HTC Sense does not equip with a barcode scanner. Only a camera. You will need to have your apps to translate the 2D barcode image to barcode string. And then store the information in some form of data store together with the student ID. Alternatively you can use a bluetooth barcode scanner and paired it with your phone to scan the barcode. The advantage of using a barcode scanner is the data will be comming into your app as a string of numbers or alphanumeric.

or you may consider using industrial device like those from Motorola or Intermec

KH
[spoiler]Time is always against us[/spoiler]

Go to Top of Page

Joseph_Richard
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-05-30 : 05:50:50
quote:
Originally posted by alantaylor618

The system is possible to build up. But you need a barcode maker to make book labels for scanning. Also, your HTC can be used as a scanner only you install a barcode reader in your phone.unspammed
Go to Top of Page

Johnson_6
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-05-30 : 23:17:39
Acturally, each book has a ISBN number and barcode on the cover page. Just think if it works to use that barcode for achieving your goals.
Go to Top of Page

anastasiaA
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-12-13 : 01:33:28
I googled your question and found these two passage which may helpful to you:
[url]http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/296533/Using-a-bar-code-scanner-in-NET[/url]
unspammed
Go to Top of Page

mikepeal
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-03-06 : 21:47:22
I thought you must have your task finished and I wonder if you can share us with the solution that you have chosen. I am a librarian and we are updating the syetem of our library with integration of barcoding] functions for student Card, so I hope you can give me some advice.

unspammed
Go to Top of Page

abbyyy
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-06 : 23:38:02
Hi
According to your description, I would like to recommend a unspammed software to you. Hope it will help.
Go to Top of Page

danny rough
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-25 : 23:22:00
hello, dear teacher. i think that is a good way for teaching . for generating barcode , i think the first step is to employ an imaging sdk which contains the function of generating barcode. maybe you have never made barcode yet, but the introductions and setps provided in the page might be helpful, good luck! unspammed
Go to Top of Page

cathyhill
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-07-24 : 22:48:45
Here is my advice:
1. download a free barcode font(there is free Code 39 barcode font on internet unspammed

2. create barcode and print it on labels

3. buy a barcode reader/scanner unspammed

4. set up a database to record the data that got from barcode readers (you can find detailed step by asking question on stackflow.com)
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-25 : 00:14:10
Cleaned up spam links, Locking topic as that's all anyone seems to post now.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -