SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Express Edition and Compact Edition (2005)
 Share a SQL database across an ethernet connection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BradH
Starting Member

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  23:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to share an mdf file between two laptops connected via an ethernet connection. The environment is: Main laptop is called "BandMJ-PC" and the "Slave" laptop is called "BRAD-LAPTOP". I want the Main laptop to be running a particular application accessing ALAMEIN.mdf while the Slave laptop is running a different application also accessing ALAMEIN.mdf on the Main laptop. Both apps are written in vb 2010 Express. So far I have introduced a login for "BandMJ-PC\Guest" in SQL Server Management Studio and given that login full access to the folder containing the data files.
My connection string is:
"Data Source=BandMJ-PC\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbfFilename=Y:\Test Auctions\ALAMEIN.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=False"
Where "Y" is the Network drive for the Main laptop.
When I run the application on the Slave I get "An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file "Y:\Test Auctions\ALAMEIN.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file canot be opened, or it is located on UNC share."
I have spent days trying to google a solution but there seems to be a huge amount of solutions but I've yet to find one that works for me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000