Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Restore failed for Server MSSQLSERVER

Author  Topic 

imughal
Posting Yak Master

192 Posts

Posted - 2012-09-13 : 06:31:16
Hi,
I took database full backup and want to restore it on other server machine in order to have DB mirroring.
On second machine i create database and try to restore database from backup file. i got following error message :

Restore failed for Server 'MSSQLSERVER'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended)
------------------------------
Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Restore.SqlRestore(Server srv)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.SqlRestoreDatabaseOptions.RunRestore()

===================================

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: RESTORE detected an error on page (30976:1912628480) in database "MYdatabase" as read from the backup set.
(Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

i tried to verify backupfile and got following error

RESTORE verifyonly FROM DISK='C:\Backup\Mydatabasefullbackup.bak';

Error:
Msg 3189, Level 16, State 1, Line 4
Damage to the backup set was detected.
Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 4
VERIFY DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

Please tell how do i fix it and restore database. thanks.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2012-09-13 : 12:35:12
Your backup file is corrupted. You'll need to get an undamaged backup file in order to restore it.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

prett
Posting Yak Master

212 Posts

Posted - 2012-09-14 : 01:07:18
As 'Tara Kizer' is already suggested that your backup file is get corrupted. RESTORE VERIFYONLY is not a 100% verification, it only does what it can do, and what you gave it to work with. So, you should go back to the source server and perform DBCC CHECKDB to see if the corruption exists at the source.

Did you check?

DBCC CHECKDB ('XXX') WITH NO_INFOMSGS, ALL_ERRORMSGS;

You should also check Paul's Article. In this article, he explained step by step procedure to handle this error: http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/post/Example-20002005-corrupt-databases-and-some-more-info-on-backup-restore-page-checksums-and-IO-errors.aspx
Go to Top of Page

davegeeit
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-19 : 05:23:15
In case of your SQL Database corrupted, you should try third party utility of RecoveryFix for SQL Recovery, with the help of this software your can repair your inaccessible database.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-19 : 23:17:26
quote:
Originally posted by davegeeit

In case of your SQL Database corrupted, you should try third party utility of RecoveryFix for SQL Recovery, with the help of this software your can repair your inaccessible database.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -