Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 I Have a Dream!

Author  Topic 

theboyholty
Posting Yak Master

226 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-05 : 11:11:15
In my dream, developers like myself get given projects to work on and a period of time in which to complete them. Whilst they're working on these nice neat projects, they don't get bombarded with crappy little jobs that end up taking three days, but are expected in an hour and the words "You can have it done now, or you can have it done properly." (said sarcastically) wouldn't be followed by "I'll have it now please." (said seriously).

In my dream you can take a holiday without a) being made to feel guilty and b) without having to spend the last few days before leaving training up some clueless buffoon only to find they've bollocksed everything up anyway by the time you get back.

Organisation. Ha! In my magical world, we'd have some of that. There'd be teams (and no mean, back-stabbing competition between them) there would be a hierarchy where those at the top would be more knowledgeable, skilled and experienced than those at the bottom and would hapliy share their knowledge, skills and experience with the lesser members of the teams for the greater good. Here's another thing too; by gaining knowledge, skill and experience, the little folk could rise up this glorious ladder of progression and actualy get paid more for it (stop laughing please).

We'd have directors who, after saying how great we all are and how wonderfully well we're doing in "the current ecenomic climate" for 11 months, wouldn't suddenly go all quiet around year end, mumbling about cutbacks, and then say "Sorry boys, there's no pay review this year."

I'd have a comfy chair and something to put my feet on.

Am I a complete dreamer, or do some organisations work this way?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mannyroadend.co.uk A Bury FC supporters website and forum

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-05 : 11:37:34
I've worked at both types of company. The dream ones are out there. I don't think they advertise because they'd be swamped with people and end up becoming bad.

I truly believe a bad environment begets itself, some of them are just not fixable and you're better off getting out as soon as you can. I wasted five years at a company that utterly fossilized my skills. I learned more in 6 months after leaving that place. I would have been better off with no job rather than staying there. (You can look at my SQLTeam posting history and figure out exactly when I started there and when I left)

The problem you want to avoid (that I didn't) is blaming other people for your own unhappiness. Ultimately you have to make that decision yourself and be responsible for it.

One of the best things I've gotten out of leaving the bad company was the true value of networking with people. Simply engaging with people in the same field, but outside your current workplace. It has nothing to do with finding a new job either, which is hard to understand or accept when you really want to leave where you are (it was for me anyway). Once you get to know enough people and the kinds of stuff they're doing, it will improve your perspective on the work, even if you don't get to apply it. And it helps to know as many people as possible if you finally do move on, you never know what might be waiting for you.

Another great way to engage the community is to attend Code Camps, SQL Saturdays, and similar such conferences, and your local user groups. A lot of them are free or quite cheap. UK just had its first SQL Saturday in Cambridge on Sept. 8 (I spoke there!) and it was a great event. SQLBits goes on every year too, and they have a free day as well. PASS has its events (Rally and Summit) as well as virtual chapters, 24 Hours of PASS, and can hook you up with a local user group. You can even answer questions in the forums. That's how I learn!
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-06 : 02:31:10
I think your dream of a comfy chair is a realistic goal.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-07 : 03:10:28
Yes , you are a dreamer. Agree with RobVolk - in this environment , you need to take full responsibility for any learning. I would also recommend exposing to other systems - as secondary skills and learning some new methdologies

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

theboyholty
Posting Yak Master

226 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-08 : 04:04:45
I had intended to ask a serious question and had ended up getting lost in my own rant. I hadn't meant it to sound so whiny.

What I was hoping to find out was this:

Is there such a job as one where a developer gets to work on projects, one after the other, with a specified project lifespan, development methodology, targets and a realistic chance of getting the job done completely and properly without having to compromise on any aspect of the process or quality of the finished product?

Do any companies actually work that way, as all the development positions I've held have been haphazard in the way projects are assigned, completed and delivered.

I'm hoping to change jobs in the next few months and want to see if my ideal role is likely to exist, or whether my current situation is as good as it gets.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mannyroadend.co.uk A Bury FC supporters website and forum
Go to Top of Page

JimL
SQL Slinging Yak Ranger

1537 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-08 : 07:57:03
It depends on how many layers there are between you and the user/client.

Having been in IT since the 70’s (back then we called it data processing) my experience has been that we simply roll from one crisis to another with projects thrown in the mix.

Planning.....Planning.... We dont need no stinkin planning.

Jim
Users <> Logic
Go to Top of Page

yoursurrogategod
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-16 : 10:50:50
unspammed

Just don't work for someone else, period.

Go to Top of Page

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-16 : 11:05:10
Most companies are
"You can have it done properly in a month or we can hack it in 3 months or maybe not at all" - We'll take the hack because we don't understand why doing it properly will be quicker.
Oh yes - I actually had a new development manager explain that they had ignored my plan because he didn't think there was time for any design.

Best is a short contract (curently at a client for one week) then you don't get the dross - and someone else gets to test what you've done.

I have a dream that agents would actually add value rather than getting in the way - starting another contract on Monday except the agent hasn't sorted out the contract yet after 2 weeks so wants to delay until Wednesday. Current one is direct - they contacted me last Friday and I started Monday.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

yoursurrogategod
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-16 : 14:21:57
quote:
Originally posted by yoursurrogategod

unspammed

Just don't work for someone else, period.

Did I do something wrong in order to get my link removed? I don't get any royalties or any benefit by posting it.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-16 : 17:04:49
Sorry, nothing personal, it was one of those sites that's borderline. Rather not start a trend of allowing some sites over others.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -