Please start any new threads on our new site at http://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

Our new SQL Server Forums are live! Come on over! We've restricted the ability to create new threads on these forums.

SQL Server Forums
Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SSIS and Import/Export (2008)
 How to do this with BIDS
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gbritton
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

2780 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  16:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to do something very simple in BIDS as a means to learning more about what I can and cannot do. Basically I want to:

1. run a query that returns a single data item (e.g. select 1 as one)

2. output that data to a flat file (or to excel or even to the BIDS output panel, if that is possible)

To get started, I added an Execute SQL Task element to the Control Flow tab, where I typed my simple query (select 1 as one). That works as expected. Now, I'd like to send the result set (Which is just one row and one column) to a file. So, I added a Data Flow task, but BIDS doesn't like that, complaining that the number of input columns is 0 (even though I know it is 1).

So, I guess I'm going about this wrong. How can I do this very simple thing in BIDS?

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

India
52326 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  17:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nope. no need of EXECUTE SQL TASK. you should be using a DATA FLOW TASK with OLEDB Source and flat file destination. Put data access mode as as sql command and put your query in it. Point flat file destination to a file connection which creates a file and on executing you'll get results exported to file

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  09:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, that worked! I'm on my way!!
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  09:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ONe question though: IT seems that I need a connection on the OLEDB source task even though it will never use it. (I think that's why I went for Execute Sql Task in the first place). Is there a way to run it without a source connection?
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

India
52326 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  10:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gbritton

ONe question though: IT seems that I need a connection on the OLEDB source task even though it will never use it. (I think that's why I went for Execute Sql Task in the first place). Is there a way to run it without a source connection?

what do you mean by you never use it? you've run your query against a db isnt it? even EXECUTE SQL TASK needs a connection

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP

Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  11:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never mind. I get it now
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

India
52326 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  11:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome

SQL Server MVP

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000