Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Login using AD credentials (service account)

Author  Topic 

CreatoX
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-01 : 08:15:59
Hi all,

Is it possible to login to SQL using another AD-credential?

We want to use a service account loging into an application. This application is running onto 3 client PC's and is used by multiple users. For whatever reason we may not use a SQL account, but must use a service account.

I cannot get it to work. All I get is a login failed. Login in using a SQL account works great.

Current DataLink Properties:
Servername: databaseserver
User name: DOMAIN/service_account
Password: password
Database: database

Ar is it possible to map a AD account to a SQL account?

What would be the best option?

Thanks

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-01 : 10:07:51
is that domain user account added into server as a valid user account?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

CreatoX
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-01 : 11:32:13
Yes. If you mean the service-account is added to the security group in SQL.

When I login (or 'run as' the application) under this service-account, then I can make a connection using Windows Authentication.
But we want to store the login information so everone who uses the application, the application connects to the database with the service account credentials.

The account in SQL:

The account in the connection settings (which does not work atm):
Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-05 : 14:44:03
You cannot set this up that way - you would need to have the processes impersonate the service account, authenticate on Windows using that service account - then it might work.

I would recommend setting up an AD group with each individual who access the application added to the group, then change your connection to use Windows NT Integrated Security.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -