Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 can someone help me understand this?

Author  Topic 

Crima
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-13 : 20:21:58
Design a database diagram that allows individuals to be assigned membership in one or
more groups. Each group can have any number of individuals and each individual can
belong to any number of groups. Create additional tables and columns, if necessary.
Explain your design decisions. (Draw the diagram in Visio and copy drawing into a word
document)

I don't understand what the question is asking can someone please explain?

-Crima

A witty student

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-13 : 22:17:14
It's not so much a question as an assignment and the instructions are quite clear. Please post the specific phrase that you don't understand.

Do you get these parts?
- design a database diagram using Visio.
- Create all the objects necessary to satisfy the requirements
- explain the design choices
- copy the finished design into a word document

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

Crima
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-13 : 23:12:40
"individuals to be assigned membership in one or more groups" and "Each group can have any number of individuals and each individual can
belong to any number of groups"

Does this mean make up my own scenario? like include First name, Last name, phone number, address ect. In my table.
The wording of this has deeply confused me.

A witty student
Go to Top of Page

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-13 : 23:55:15
It does mean make up your own scenario. The details are up to you but the key points are:
- The Entities: (individual and group)
- The relationship between these entities (0,1,or many individuals per group - and 0,1,or many groups per individual)

Life is full of these types of relationships:
authors and books
citizens and committees
people and pets
homes and owners
etc.

Your assignment is to pick two entities with a many-to-many relationship and model it as database objects. How many tables do you think you need for this?

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-13 : 23:56:49
It is just asking you to model a many to many relationship. I don't think the attributes you assign to the given entities is as important as just modeling the relationship correctly.

-Chad
Go to Top of Page

Crima
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-14 : 19:51:47
Thank you that is all I needed :)

A witty student
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -