Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SSIS and Import/Export (2005)
 Split string and get the count using SSIS

Author  Topic 

blazing
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-11-16 : 01:36:55
Hi all,

I am creating a pckage in SSIS in which there is a flatfile source and a destination table. The source contains a string in each row. The string should contain 5 entries delimited with '|' and it looks like this.

a|b|c|d|e

I need to split the string and determine there are 5 entries(delimited with '|') and then insert each entry to the destination table.

The task should fail in case there are less than 5 entries. i.e. a|b|c|d - it fails.

I am able to split the string and insert each entry to the 5 columns in the table. But I am not able to validate the number of entries.

How can I split the string and get the count and verify there 5 entries using SSIS. Please help.

Thanks in advance,

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-16 : 23:21:31
You can simply Add a expression inside data flow like this in derived column task

LEN([StringCol])-LEN(REPLACE([StringCol],"|",""))

then use it in a conditional task like

DerivedCol <4 and in the output store results in a variable using rowcount transform and in next step check if variable >0 and fail package.

another way is to open file inside script task using Read() function and then parse and check if count of | is below 4 and raise error

If you dont want to do all this in SSIS, just add a simple data flow task to dump file data as a single value onto a table

then use t-sql inside execute sql task to check if there are rows in table with | below 4 and throw error from sql code

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -