Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Temdb: per Instance not per Database?

Author  Topic 

AlwaysLearner
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-11-17 : 14:17:45
Hi All!

The tempdb system database is created by system per Instance or per Database on SQL Server?

I believe it is created per Instance is it true?

Kindly requested to guide!

Regards,

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-17 : 22:03:15
Yes it is true. It is best to put TempDB in different drive. Please check TempDB in msdn.
Go to Top of Page

srimami
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-20 : 06:55:12
I agree with sodeep; it is created by system per instance and is advisable to have a separate drive for tempdb. Also, if tempdb is using it's max capacity, please restart the sql server to reclaim the disk space before it throws an error on tempdb full.

Thanks,
Sri.
Go to Top of Page

revdnrdy
Posting Yak Master

220 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-29 : 11:52:42
quote:
Originally posted by srimami

I agree with sodeep; it is created by system per instance and is advisable to have a separate drive for tempdb. Also, if tempdb is using it's max capacity, please restart the sql server to reclaim the disk space before it throws an error on tempdb full.

Thanks,
Sri.

If you restart to reclaim tempDB space won't you take a bit of a performance hit while tempDB rebuilds itself? If its running close to its memory limit wouldn't it be better to resize tempDB via the alter database command?
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-29 : 14:01:30
Restarting SQL Server is the last option.It is better to plan for tempdb with space and have them in separate drive(ex: RAID 10) and split them based on processors. If many of the queries are using tempdb or Online Reindexing, you should find better alternative or tune the queries.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -