Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 SELECT records in table from UPDATE

Author  Topic 

ckjames
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-21 : 13:40:33
I am looking to generate a table off of updated records.

Example:

3 people are about to run a race. Get that data

SELECT person_id
FROM person
WHERE date_complete IS NULL

3 people finish the race today.

UPDATE person SET date_complete = today() and last_update = now()
WHERE date_complete IS NULL

I am running this within a stored procedure and I am able to update and get the records on the fly. However, this is my problem: but the temporary table exists only for the duration of the stored procedure that creates it.

So basically I was wondering what would be the best way to populate a table with these records that were updated. I would need to see the records when this update is run and then possibly 5-10 minutes down the line. Thanks!

jimf
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2875 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-21 : 13:50:18
Can't you just populate a permanent table on the database instead of a temp table?

Jim

P.S. This is a MS SQL Server Forum so you may need to get advice elsewhere.

Everyday I learn something that somebody else already knew
Go to Top of Page

ckjames
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-21 : 13:53:42
quote:
Originally posted by jimf

Can't you just populate a permanent table on the database instead of a temp table?

Jim

P.S. This is a MS SQL Server Forum so you may need to get advice elsewhere.

I thought about creating a permanent table but didn't know if I wanted the extra table floating around just for this one program. Is it bad practice to create a table then drop/delete table every time this would be run?

Basically these updated records will only need to be known/populated for about 10 minutes after this is run.
Go to Top of Page

jimf
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2875 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-21 : 14:05:28
It's still a table that is getting used regularly and read from different sources, so I'd just create it permanently and then add
TRUNCATE TABLE myTable
INSERT INTO myTable ...

Jim

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -