Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Express Edition and Compact Edition (2005)
 Fractional truncation Error

Author  Topic 

dchst
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-04 : 11:17:44
Hi All,

I have a strange problem. A client is getting a fractional truncation error whenever they insert a record. This is on an XP machine with SQL Express 2005 and VB6 application. The client machines also have this problem.

I have taken a copy of the database but I am unable to replicate the error on my machines. The software has been running for years on many machines without issues and few changes to the VB code. Their IT department visited today and changed machine names and probably some other settings.

I do not believe the fractional truncation error can be code related and is more likely to be related to something done by the IT people. I am under pressure to resolve the issue, but am not sure where to look. Any input will be sincerely appreciated!

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-04 : 11:43:43
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Regional Options tab -> Customize and look up the value under "No. of digits after decimal" on a box that works correctly and compare it with what it is on a box that does not work correctly.

If that does not offer any clue, I want to say run profiler and look at the queries that are coming into the server, but I don't think profiler is part of SQL 2005 Express. If you have a version that has profiler, you may want to use that to connect to the express instance and profile it. If you are ableto run the profiler and capture a query that inserts the data that lets you narrow it down to either the client side or the database side.

I can't see how it can be on the database side unless the schema or data type of the columns or the stored procedure has changed. So then assuming it is on the client side, you will need to investigate the VB code - I am not much of a VB person, so I don't know what to suggest in that regard.
Go to Top of Page

dchst
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-04 : 13:13:40
quote:
Originally posted by sunitabeck

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Regional Options tab -> Customize and look up the value under "No. of digits after decimal" on a box that works correctly and compare it with what it is on a box that does not work correctly.

If that does not offer any clue, I want to say run profiler and look at the queries that are coming into the server, but I don't think profiler is part of SQL 2005 Express. If you have a version that has profiler, you may want to use that to connect to the express instance and profile it. If you are ableto run the profiler and capture a query that inserts the data that lets you narrow it down to either the client side or the database side.

I can't see how it can be on the database side unless the schema or data type of the columns or the stored procedure has changed. So then assuming it is on the client side, you will need to investigate the VB code - I am not much of a VB person, so I don't know what to suggest in that regard.

Thanks for this. I re-installed (uninstall and install) SQL Express 2005 SP4 and it works! I forgot to make a note of which SP was on the machine. I can only think that whatever IT did, it involved overwriting or disabling something between VB6 and SQL, presumably something to do with ODBC drivers.

David
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -