Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 SQL Server 2005 and SilverLight

Author  Topic 

stm_Vladimir
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-17 : 22:45:21
Hello, friends.
I have 2 tasks: to make an sql server database and create a front-end client application. No problems with database. But the client... I thought about MS Access and decided it would be a backup option. I want to create a web client to access database from a web browser. I have some options: Silverlight, dbWeb, IDC or something. I don't know any of them, but I think silverlight would be a good decision.

Please, if anybody has such experience, could you guide me and help start? I know that I need SQL Server. I have Sql Server 2005 Express running on my local PC for tests - I can work with it. I need Visual Studio 2008 and Silverlight 2 or 3. Now I have Visual C++ 2008. I'll find VS2008 once the development starts. I need to create first project. Please, if anybody ready to help me with questions and guide through the beginning phase, let me know. I always help people on forums when they ask. Please, can anybody help me with it? What kind of help? Just guidance, like what to install to make it work, where to find the certain settings etc. Well, general questions. I can learn programming langueages myself, but I don't know sliverlight and how to start using it. I need step by step, but don't require to stay with me every minute, just navigate me. If you know people who can help, please, ask them if they have a few minutes a day to help.

To Admins (moderators): please, can you put this topic to the most relevant forum branch, if this one isn't.
Thanks to all.

stm_Vladimir
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-17 : 22:56:39
Or instead of Silverlight, maybe ASP.NET is an option. Well, help me to decide and start, please.

- - - - - - - - - -
It's difficult to make the world a better place, a home of technologic future. Only when act together, people have a chance.
Go to Top of Page

stm_Vladimir
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-19 : 19:41:48
Nobody have given even a short advice... Doesn't anybody know anything about it? What kind of forum is it then? For whom is it if you can't give me just an advice??? I know. You don't help beginners, because you are weak and scared that other people will take your bread from you. But I hope you are not like that, otherwise people are not far from monkey..

- - - - - - - - - -
It's difficult to make the world a better place, a home of technologic future. Only when act together, people have a chance.
Go to Top of Page

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-20 : 06:17:02
All the people who responds to questions on this forum are unpaid volunteers. They answer questions in their spare time, and in areas that they feel qualified to answer. The expertise of most people here are on SQL Server - so very few people may be qualified to comment on Silverlight. For those and other reasons, sometimes questions do fall through the cracks and don't get answered.

Regarding your question, I have two comments:

1. I would stick with ASP.Net rather than use Silverlight. From what I know, Microsoft has stopped development on Silverlight and are not planning to release any new versions. If you are going to invest time and resources in learning a new technology you might as well invest it in something which is going to be developed and advanced in the future.

2. It would be hard for someone to go through all the details and specifics required for doing what you described. Instead, google for some good tutorials - here is one fore example.
Go to Top of Page

stm_Vladimir
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-22 : 07:18:17
Thank you for your answer. Maybe it is not obvious but your recommendations really help me. And yes, I agree about Silverlight and ASP.NET. Actually, I didn't expect exhaustive answers completely explaining me everything. I tell and ask so many things in one post because I understand that people don't know everything and at least somebody competent in one the mentioned areas or products should be here. I'm sure if someone works with SQL Server, he should work also with a client application created in any development tool, so people could just tell a few words about their experience. Well, anyway, thank you and I'm sorry if I was rude. I just was deeply disappointed that nobody answered me on other forums.
Now, if you could help me to understand some things regarding security, users and schemas in SQL Server, you would help me. Could you, please?

- - - - - - - - - -
Go to Top of Page

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-22 : 09:12:09
Security on SQL Server is a vast topic - books have been written on that aspect of SQL Server alone. I find the picture on this page very useful - it gives you a 30,000 feet view of the security model.

As you will see in the picture, you can think of the security consisting of principals and securables. Users are principals, schemas are securables.
Go to Top of Page

stm_Vladimir
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-22 : 23:28:47
Thank you. It's useful. I'll also look through other articles out there.
Particularly, about users and schemas. Could you tell me what should be created first - users or schemas? What is best practice in designing this aspect of databases? If I know what each user should be able to do, what is the algorithm of creating users and schemas? Sorry, if I ask something that needs a long discussion. I would be satisfied even with a short answer, if it's possible.

- - - - - - - - - -
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -