Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Reliable Method for Determining Data File Size

Author  Topic 

jbates99
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

396 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-25 : 14:45:00
I want to track the size of every database's data file into a table so I can project future growth patterns.

Does anyone have a solid technique, that can be ran programatically?

Note - I don't the file size - that is how much space that's allocated. I want to find the amount of space actually used. If the data file were shrunk to minimum size, if that makes sense.

Thanks for any tips.
Jack

v_yaduvanshi
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-26 : 05:19:50
u may check this

Select db_name(),fileid,case when groupid = 0 then 'log file' else 'data file' end,
name,filename, [file_size] = convert(int,round((sysfiles.size*1.000)/128.000,0)),
[space_used] =convert(int,round(fileproperty(sysfiles.name,'SpaceUsed')/128.000,0)),
[space_left] =convert(int,round((sysfiles.size-fileproperty(sysfiles.name,'SpaceUsed'))/128.000,0))
from dbo.sysfiles;

Go to Top of Page

jbates99
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

396 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-27 : 16:56:51
Thank you v_ Your technique seesm to compute a size that is accurate.

This will work if I hardcode for each known database name with a preceeding Use DatabaseX;

I was hoping for a way of looping thru all databases in a stored procedure so it can automatically pick up any new databases.

Thanks for your idea. Jack
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -