Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Map Windows Login to SQL Login

Author  Topic 

billhealy
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-12-26 : 11:21:53
New administrator here. I have an application which has an admin SQL account that handles a bunch of automated tasks for the application. From time to time the users have to login with this account and do some maintenance. The things they need to do can ONLY be done with this special admin account.

The users have lost the password for this admin account. If I change reset the password I will "break" many of the functions of this application and they will be forced to reinstall the app.

Is it better for me to try to crack the password with one of the brute force crackers out there or is there a way for me to map one of the windows login users to this admin SQL user account so that they can login as themselves and be able to do what they need to do? Or perhaps there's another option I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mandm
Posting Yak Master

120 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-26 : 12:38:03
It might be easier to make a new Admin account with the same characteristics as the original and have the users move to that. Keep the password in a safe place so it doesn't get lost again.
Go to Top of Page

prett
Posting Yak Master

212 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-27 : 00:10:27
You have two options to reset your password:

Option 1 : If there is any other SQL Server Login that is a member of sysadmin role, you can log in using that account and reset the password of SQL Server. As described in the bottom post link.

Option 2 : If there is any other Windows Login that is a member of Windows Admin Group than you can login account using same. Start SQL Server in Single User Mode as described in the bottom post link.

Ref: http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/08/04/sql-server-forgot-the-password-of-username-sa/
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -