Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Other SQL Server 2008 Topics
 Error 17886

Author  Topic 

nomadsolo
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-01-09 : 16:29:03
we are running a website on a vps server. We have sql server 2008 x64 r2. We are being bombarded with 17886 errors - namely:
"The server will drop the connection, because the client driver has sent multiple requests while the session is in single-user mode. This error occurs when a client sends a request to reset the connection while there are batches still running in the session, or when the client sends a request while the session is resetting a connection. Please contact the client driver vendor."
This causes sql statements to return corrupt results. I have tried pretty much all of the suggestions I have found on the net, including:
with mars, and without.
with pooling and without
with async=true and without
we only have one database and it is absolutely multi-user
Everything has been installed recently so it is up to date. They may be correlated with high cpu (though not exclusively according to the monitors I have seen). Also correlated with high request rates from search engines. However, high cpu/requests shouldn't cause sql connections to reset - at worst we should have high response times or iis refusing to send response.
Any suggestions? I am only a developer not dba - do i need a dba to solve this problem?

prett
Posting Yak Master

212 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-10 : 23:31:19
I also face this issue some days back. If you set Async=true on the connection string it should prevent this problem. If you are using MARS and using the same connection on multiple concurrent threads what can happen is the call to reset the connection can get slightly delayed and trigger this error. If you set Async=true we perform additional locking in the client driver to prevent this from happening.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -