Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 How to re-define path restoring database?

Author  Topic 

asp__developer
Posting Yak Master

108 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-09 : 23:50:00
I am using SQL Server 2012 Express (Management Studio).

I am trying to restore a database from a bak file to my database while is on hosting server.

First I connect to my hosting server using management studio.

Then when I try to restore the database from bak file which is on my computer. I select the database from "Device" - but when I click on "BROWSE" to locate the bak file - it is automatically using the path as - c:\Program files \ sql server \ MSSQL \ Backup

This path doesn't exists on my computer. Even though I try to create it manually, it still give me error that this path doesn;t exist.

How to change or re-define this default device file path ?

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-10 : 00:18:51
do you mean youcan navigate to path where you've bak file? or is it in another shared location?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-10 : 04:15:57
>> First I connect to my hosting server using management studio.
>> when I try to restore the database from bak file which is on my computer

No hope unless you can share the folder on your machine to the hosted machine - and you probably should hope that is not possible.
You probably need to look at transfering the backup file to the server.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

asp__developer
Posting Yak Master

108 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-10 : 09:42:03
Sorry for the confusion but I think my question is something else..

When I try to restore from a .bak file to my new database - I am unable to do that because by default the sql server is choosing a path which doesn't even exist on my machine and I am not able to select a new path.

This is what I get I click on "Browse" button to select the .bak file from my computer

When I click on ok - I get the following (still no way to change the path to select .bak file):

Please help me
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-11 : 11:48:38
You need to copy the backup file if different server and then restore providing path.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -