Please start any new threads on our new site at http://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

Our new SQL Server Forums are live! Come on over! We've restricted the ability to create new threads on these forums.

SQL Server Forums
Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2000)
 display limited records in descending order
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iamramneek
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  07:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi...

I have a table which has a primary key as Record ID. Othere fields include creation date, modification date etc..
I want 2 records per page to be displayed such that the latest record is at the top. Lets take an example.. I have below record ids in table

Now, I want them to be displayed as
On page 1
On Page 2
On Page 3

On this page I have Next and previous Buttons. Next Button is working fine, however the previous button logic is not working.

Please suggest how can I get it work

jackv
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

United Kingdom
2179 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  08:20:34  Show Profile  Visit jackv's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what do you mean by "it's not working" ? is there an error mesage ? are the parameter values incorrect?
are you manipulating the numbers correctly - so they are correct on the id you pass back to the db?

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

iamramneek
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  12:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jackv ,

Here is the logic I have used...
more.php is the page where I want to display records 2 per page.
FOR displaying NEXT page I created this hyperlink
<a href="more.php?lsthn='.$lessthn.'">Next</a>

where $lessthn = smallest record id I capture on the current page.. eg. for as per my example on earlier post on Page 1 it will be 25, for page 2 it will be 23

NOW on page more.php, NEXT link will work as per below

if (isset($_GET['lsthn']))
{
$lessthan = $_GET['lsthn'];
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM TABLE where RECORD_ID < $lessthan order by RECORD_CRTN_DT desc limit 2" );
}
In this way 2nd page will display Record number 24 on top and then 23 and so on

FOR displayinng Previous page I created this hyperlink

<a href="more.php?grtrthn='.$grthn.'">Previous</a>

WHERE $grthn = greatest value on current page .. e.g for page 1 it will be 26 , for page 2 it will be 24 and so on

NOW on page more.php, NEXT link will work as per below
if (isset($_GET['grtrthn']))
{
$grtrthan = $_GET['grtrthn'];
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM TABLE where RECORD_ID > $grtrthan order by RECORD_ID desc limit 2" );
}

This query always returns top two records i.e ist page (record id 26 and record id 25)

Now, If I remove desc and keep it default order, the records order gets changed to Ascending which is not what I want... I always want to display records in the same order as I specified in my previous post.. i.e descending order

I hope you understood my issue..
I you think I have chosen wrong logic... Please can you suggest something else..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000