Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Database Job fails to run when pulling data

Author  Topic 

miles411
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-16 : 16:20:49
I am using SQL 2008 and an external vendor change the particular warehouse name for the IMPORT file that I was receiving through my SQL server from them. I get an error under the SQL Server Agent stating the IMPORTFROMXXX has failed. When I open the Job that is running notice that the warehouse name under the import file script is incorrect when I change it to the new name it still fails. How do I go about correcting this?

thank you

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-16 : 17:21:39
Possibilities I can think of are:

a) The old name is being used some other places that you have not yet found. I don't know where that might be - but it may be that the SQL Server Agent is be running an SSIS package. You may need to examine the SSIS package.

b) The vendor secretly changed the format of the IMPORT file. Strange as it may sound, I have had vendors do that to me vexing me to no end.
Go to Top of Page

miles411
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-16 : 17:30:12
How do I examine the SSIS package? What are the steps?

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-16 : 17:36:44
I am only guessing that it might be an SSIS job - they could be using something else like bcp or bulk insert. You have to examine the job steps to figure out what they are using. If it is an SSIS package, the information on this MSDN page may be helpful: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms141701.aspx#trouble
Go to Top of Page

srimami
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-17 : 06:38:34
Copy the SSIS package and simulate the same in Dev environment and change the file name to new name being used. If the file name generated is dynamic then you have to change in variables or else change the static file name where ever it appears on the job.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -