Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 To copy the ER diagram

Author  Topic 

arthiasha
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-21 : 04:06:13
Hi all,

I'm working in SQL SERVER 2008 and I need to copy my ER diagram generated into a word file so as to have a reference.
How to copy the ER diagram?

Thanks

bandi
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2242 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-21 : 05:34:25
1) Expand Database Diagrams tab under your specific Database
2) Right-click on the ER-diagram( i.e. Database Diagram)
3) Select Modify Option
4) Right-click on that Diagram and then Copy to Clipboard option
5) Paste it on the Word page

--
Chandu
Go to Top of Page

arthiasha
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-21 : 06:53:02
Yes.. i did the same.. but i could not find 'copy to clipboard' option when i right click on the tables
Go to Top of Page

bandi

2242 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-21 : 06:59:56
quote:
Originally posted by arthiasha

Yes.. i did the same.. but i could not find 'copy to clipboard' option when i right click on the tables

After selection of Modify option, You will get query editor for that Database Diagram... right?
Now right-click on that editor --> Select Copy Diagram to Clipboard

--
Chandu
Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-21 : 07:21:04
If your right-click menu does not have that option, you can use the Edit menu on the top menu bar and select "Copy Diagram to Clipboard".
Go to Top of Page

ahmeds08
Aged Yak Warrior

737 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-22 : 05:58:16
if you are using windows7 OS,use snipping tool to generate the clear screen shot.
Go to Top of Page

arthiasha
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-23 : 02:10:26
Thanks all...
I got it right. I have to take a hard copy of these tables. When i save it to word it doesn't fit to the screen. The whole ER diagram is saved as a single image. I did copy with page breaks and even with proper alignment i could not get the tables as one. Either it breaks or comes with very small font.
I also tried giving print directly from sqlserver, but when i look for a preview in OneNote the whole image is very small and breaks.
Is there any option i could do alignment directly from sql server and take a printout of the actual size?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -