Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 Single DB shared across multiple servers

Author  Topic 

A1Friend4u
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-01-21 : 08:05:56
This is completely new game application being developed and I want the design to be highly scalable. As each user's score changes (increases or decreases by certain number) it will be updated to the server. In turn Server will reply with "list of nearest 50 users" to that score. This is planned to happen in not less than 1 minute per user.

Thus if DB table is indexed on score, we can say single write and 50 reads will happen per minute by each user. Now lets assume I've 50 "connection servers" and around 20K users are connected to each "connection server". All those "connection servers" in turn querying single DB Server. So it is effectively queuing all the (50*20000) millions of requests to single DB Server. Which obviously cannot complete all those requests in a minute.

Hence, I am looking if is it possible to have *multiple* servers sharing *single* database? So that it will enable me to distribute my queries across multiple database servers. If this is not possible, how can this be achieved?

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-21 : 11:08:17
It is technically possible to achieve this architecture via Linked servers or Open Query. But the target database is owned ultimately by one database server. Also the target db will still have to fulfill all the transactional rules such as locking , commit , rollback etc.
This is an archiectural design issue - so needs some planning from the outset
There are some large organisation who are using sql server - for example myspace.com has over 4 million concurrent users using vafrious techniques : such as data dependant routing , caching tier ,service broker

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -