Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Other SQL Server 2008 Topics
 SQL SERVER 2008 R2 Express Error

Author  Topic 

sirmilt
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-06 : 12:37:54
I am using SQL Server 2008 R2 in a Visual Basic 2010 program and it has been working fine for months through yesterday. Now that I am about 98% finished with the program, I get an error when I try to access the database from my program it fails and when I try to access the database using the SSMS it fails and I get the following error.

"Cannot connect to MILTSCOMPUTER\SQLEXPRESS
Additional Information:
A network related or instance specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server.
The server was not found or not accssible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interface , error: 26-
Error Locating Server Instance Specified)(Microsoft AQL Server)"

I'm not very experienced in using SQL Server and I don't know what to do to correct the problem(or missing files)

Milt

Milt

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-06 : 13:06:00
First see if the service is running. Run services.msc on the server and look for SQL Server(SQLEXPRESS) and make sure it is running.

If it is running, and if you are connecting from another computer, first try to see if you can connect from the server itself.
Go to Top of Page

sirmilt
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-07 : 12:07:44
Thanks for the response, James.

As you probably can tell, I'm pretty much of an SQL Server novice. I followed your suggestion and here are the results:
SQL Server Agent(MSSQL SERVER) Disabled
SQL Server Agent(SQLEXPRESS) Disabled
SQL Server Browser Disabled

The Server name that I have logged on with(successfully until now) is MILTSCOMPUTER\SQLEXPRESS and I use the Windows authentication.

All other references to SQL Server are either Manual or Automatic.

Interestingly, after my initial post I rebooted the system and it worked fine. Last night I shut down and this morning the problem reappeared after the re-boot.

Milt
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-07 : 16:28:41
If I understood you correctly, you rebooted the computer, could log on to SSMS, but then this morning, you could not even though there was no manual intervention or reboots. I don't know what could have caused the SQL Server to stop/shutdown. You might want to look at the event log and error log to see if they shed any light on it.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -