SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SSIS and Import/Export (2008)
 Email import
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Loisbl
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  13:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am receiving a series of emails from a particular source. The emails are in a standard template, come into my Microsft Outlook account on the company network, and I want to import the data into my database automatically. I have no control over the format of the email, and I do not have access to the email server other than as a user. How can I set up an import of the body of the email? I would like to parse it into specific columns, but first I jsut need to get the data into the DB itself. Any thoughts or suggestions other than 3rd party software which I am not allowed to use? It seems I should be able to do this in SSIS, but I can not find a way to set up the email account as a datasource, much less specify what folder or from addres to pull.

James K
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

3706 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  17:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mail that comes to you into Outlook gets written to a .pst file. So you have to find some way to parse that and extract the mails that are of interest to you in a text file form.

There are third party tools which I know you have ruled out that can do this. One I have used is - OutlookEMLAndMSGConverter and it is very inexpensive.

Barring that, the only other suggestion I have is to write a .Net program to use Outlook API to connect to the .pst file, read the data, parse it and store it into the database. Outlook has a well-documented API, so this should not be very difficult, but it is time-consuming to get all the i's dotted and t's crossed.

If SSIS does have a component that allows you to work with pst files, I am not aware of it.
Go to Top of Page

Loisbl
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  10:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK - Thank you for the feedback.
Go to Top of Page

James K
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

3706 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  11:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lois, if you find a clean solution to the problem, can you post back with your findings, so all can learn?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000