Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Execution Plan: Suggested Index

Author  Topic 

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-12 : 17:05:53
I generated an execution plan for a query that I'm hoping to optimize. It suggested a missing index to create so, for grins, I created the index from the script it generated changing only the name. After that I re-generated the execution plan. It suggested that I create the same index. I thought that was odd. More correctly I thought that I must have made a mistake by creating the index on a different server, different database or something along those lines. I verified that I had the right index created on the right table. I even went so far as to "REORGANIZE" the index in the same script as the one I want to optimize just to insure that the objects were in the same location.

"Okay", I thought. So the optimizer is not seeing/using the new index. I'll flush the system using this scriptlet:[CODE]CheckPoint;
DBCC dropcleanbuffers;
DBCC FreeProcCache;[/CODE]No luck.
Okay, I'll restart the SQL Service. No luck.
Okay, I'll use the Actual Execution Plan and not the Estimated. No luck.
Okay, I'll re-build the index using the exact script generated by the execution plan. Don't change the name, just run it as is. No luck.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

=================================================
There are two kinds of light -- the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures. -James Thurber

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-12 : 17:25:40
There's a known bug that could be the cause:

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/missing-index-dmvs-bug-that-could-cost-your-sanity/

Advice is: never just implement a recommended/missing index without testing.
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-12 : 17:59:16
Major "Thank-you" for the link. I'm already red-lining on my Sanity Exhaustion Meter so this keeps me off the ledge another day.

In re: "never just implement a recommended/missing index without testing" - Amen.

=================================================
There are two kinds of light -- the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures. -James Thurber
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -