Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Replication (2008)
 SQL Replication 2005/2008

Author  Topic 

ajgurrieri
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-14 : 17:07:10
I am trying to figure out the best way to migrate data from a current production MS SQL 2005 Server to a newly built MS SQL 2008 Server. The plan was to use SQL Replication and I was going to use transactional replication but the 68GB database we have is a vendor database with no primary keys.
Is there a anyone that has a good way to do this with a step by step documentation? The source database is 2005 and the destination will be a 2008; however, I have scripts I can run to upgrade the database schema's.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-14 : 17:42:15
Replication is not a good way to migrate a database to a new server. The best options are backup/restore or detach/attach. I prefer backup/restore and generally will use mirroring to get it in place ahead of time and keep it up to date until ready for the switcheroo. When I use mirroring, I can keep the migration's downtime for just the database to under a minute.

Just run the upgrade scripts after you've failed over to the 2008 server using mirroring.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

ajgurrieri
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-15 : 10:24:28
Thank you Tara for the advice... I have never setup a mirror before with mixed SQL servers. How would you do that with a current production server running on SQL 2005 standard and another one running on SQL 2008 standard... Also, what if the client doesnt want to use Enterprise edition can you still setup a mirror? I always thought you had to use Enterprise for mirroring...
The whole purpose of this project is like you said "keep the migration's downtime for just the database to under a minute.".
Any advice or links/documentation would be VERY helpful - I'll also send you a nice Starbucks gift card for the help :)
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-15 : 13:35:56
You can still use mirroring with your setup, but it would get more complicated since you don't have Enterprise.

Instead just setup log shipping. You can always backup/restore to the next higher version. You don't have to use the built-in log shipping, you can roll your own. You could even do it manually:

For a database of that size maybe do the full backup/restore the day before, then do a diff a couple of hours before the switcheroo, then catch up with tlogs. If you script the tlog part, you can have it done very, very quickly.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

uapi100
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-20 : 08:52:41
Hello dude..Replication is not the best way to migrate the data to one server to other its best way to save the file or attach the file in his Email and send to another SQL 2008 Server.Which method do you mostly use for the migrate the data??
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -