Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 adding an IP to sql 2012 server

Author  Topic 

merk
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-20 : 18:43:32
Hello,

Previously we had sql running on a non-standard port as preventative measure to prevent hack bots from hitting the server. I've since closed off access via our public IP and am now accessing the server over a hamachi VPN.

That's working fine. However, I can only connect over that non-standard port.

I opened the sql config manager, went into the tcp/ip settings and I did not see the IP address from the VPN listed there. So i opened up regedit, copied one of the existing key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp\IP8

And changed the name to IP9 and updated the Ip address. I merged that into my registry and the IP does show up in the config manager now. However, no matter what i change the port number to, it's still running on that non-standard port. I cant connect on 1433.

I did restart the sql service. I have not however restarted the server as a whole. Is there something else I need to do to get this to work? Seems kind of silly to have to restart the whole server for something as simple as this.

- Advertisement -