Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Inline SP's or add the code?

Author  Topic 

richardlaw
Yak Posting Veteran

68 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-27 : 06:47:07
I’m trying to make my SP’s as efficient as possible (from a speed perspective).

I’m running a loop (while) statement, and part of the logic within the loop needs to get data from another table based on the logic of the loop. Should I create another SP and run that within the loop, or is it better to add the code into the loop.

It will make the code longer if I add it in, and there will be duplication, but is it faster this way?

Thanks as always

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-27 : 07:48:08
The ideal way would be to avoid the loop altogether and do that operation in a set-based query. Except in a few cases, such loops can be reformulated to run as a set-based query. If you can post the code with some sample input data and the desired output, I or someone else on the forum can help to make it set-based, if that is possible.

Regarding your original question, it is almost always better to not create a stored procedure and instead add the code in-line even though that makes the code longer.
Go to Top of Page

richardlaw
Yak Posting Veteran

68 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-27 : 08:53:14
quote:
Originally posted by James K

The ideal way would be to avoid the loop altogether and do that operation in a set-based query. Except in a few cases, such loops can be reformulated to run as a set-based query. If you can post the code with some sample input data and the desired output, I or someone else on the forum can help to make it set-based, if that is possible.

Regarding your original question, it is almost always better to not create a stored procedure and instead add the code in-line even though that makes the code longer.

Thank you so much - that really helps. I'm new to working with SP's, so I'll research set-based queries first.

Thanks again - much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-27 : 09:13:13
You are very welcome. Please post back if you need additional help.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -