Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 How Do I Approach a Major Upgrade to the DB

Author  Topic 

MattC123
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-03-12 : 07:41:10
I work in a small shop. We provide Maintenance and Development for a large facilities maintenance package. We are now in the process of upgrading that package. Over the years we have heavily customized the db. Here are some facts on the upgrade:

• 500 tables in the new "out of the box" package

• 800 tables in the current system

• 120 tables modified in the latest version of the package that have also been customized by us.

Many constraints, stored procedures, ect. A large portion of these have been customized by us over the years.

This is a pretty large undertaking and I will be doing it myself. I'm interested in how other people have approached this type of thing. One of the big issues I am running into now is that when I try to update the existing db I run into all sorts of errors because of the constraints.

Any Suggestions, or lessons learned, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
MattC

ahmeds08
Aged Yak Warrior

737 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-12 : 07:45:34
Side by side upgradation will be a good move,as you will still have the legacy system if anything goes wrong.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -