Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Error Message: Timeout expired on View

Author  Topic 

siumui
Yak Posting Veteran

54 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-12 : 11:23:20
Hello all,

I execute the codes in View (Design) and I got an Error Message below:

Error Message: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Please let help. The server is repsonding for I can run other queries. Thank you.

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-12 : 12:23:06
Are you able to select rows from the table in SQL Server Management Studio?

There can be two types of timeouts - connection timeout and command timeout. Connection timeout happens if the connection to the server cannot be established within a certain amount of time (15 sec default). Command timeout happens when the query takes longer than a certain amount of time (30 sec default).

Depending on what type of timeout it is, investigate the cause, and perhaps increase the timeout if there is a rationale for doing so. You can set the timeouts in most client frameworks (In .Net code Connection and Command objects have those properties)
Go to Top of Page

siumui
Yak Posting Veteran

54 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-12 : 14:38:22
Thank you James K.

I viewed the codes in View by choosing right click on the View and choose "Design". I copy the codes from the View and modified it it in a different query window. Then I copied and pasted the modified codes back to codes section in the "Design" window of the View, then click on the red exlamatory button to run the codes. I was told by my boss that I can't run the query in "Design" window of the View. I didn't know that I can't do that. I end up checking the syntax of the modified codes and save the View with the modified codes. I was able to query from the View.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -