Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Virtulization - SQL servers and web servers

Author  Topic 

chih
Posting Yak Master

154 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-12 : 22:02:10
Hi All,

I am new to VM so here are some questions.

Our company plans to purchase 2 VM hosts (clustering). Their plan is to migrate EVERYTHING (4 physical web servers, 2 Mail servers and 4 SQL servers,...) to VM.

what i concern is putting web and db server in one host. do not think this is a good idea, but i cannot provide the reason.

Also, any performance issue? what will be the best practice

thanks in advance

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-13 : 12:58:13
All depends on the resource load. How are you sizing the new VMs? Have you stress tested first? Do you have historical perf counters (CPU, Memeory, and I/O in particular)?

Virtualizing has many advantages, but you can't just guess when migrating, unless you want a lot of headaches later.
Go to Top of Page

chih
Posting Yak Master

154 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-18 : 20:38:19
thanks,
so besides resources concern, any security or network issue to put web and db servers in one VM host?

quote:
Originally posted by russell

All depends on the resource load. How are you sizing the new VMs? Have you stress tested first? Do you have historical perf counters (CPU, Memeory, and I/O in particular)?

Virtualizing has many advantages, but you can't just guess when migrating, unless you want a lot of headaches later.

Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-19 : 02:34:37
None
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -