Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 How to retrieve last inserted records

Author  Topic 

Abid

110 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-15 : 08:49:55
Hi. I have a vb.net form, from which i can Insert more than 2 (3, 4, 5 etc) records with one insert statement, right. Now i want to display all those last inserted records in crystal report.

My Question is that, Is it possible in SQL (i mean is there any such query) that i could retrieve only last inserted record, whether its 1 or more than 1?

Grifter
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

274 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-15 : 10:08:32
I take it you mean last inserted records from the VB form?
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-15 : 11:27:44
do you've a datetime field or auto increment id field in your table? is values stored in same or diffrent fields within sql server?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Abid

110 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-15 : 11:51:11
quote:
Originally posted by Grifter

I take it you mean last inserted records from the VB form?

Aah, I mean that i want to see the last record actually in my crystal report (last record means that last inserted records whether 1 or more than one).
Go to Top of Page

Abid

110 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-15 : 11:53:26
quote:

do you've a datetime field or auto increment id field in your table? is values stored in same or diffrent fields within sql server?

Yes i have Primary Key which is set to Auto_Increment and data is storing in the main (same) table.
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-15 : 12:56:19
quote:
Originally posted by Abid

quote:

Yes i have Primary Key which is set to Auto_Increment and data is storing in the main (same) table.

then use SCOPE_IDENTITY to get inserted id value. In case of multiple value inserts use OUTPUT clause to get values from INSERTED table

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP

Go to Top of Page

Abid

110 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-16 : 06:54:42
I'm using a simple query i.e.

select top 5 * from ProdInfo order by Prod_ID Desc

this puts me to get 5 last inserted records, but its not solving my problem. My problem is that I have to shown the last numbers of records (whether 1, 2 or 3 or as much) on crystal Report, so in the above mentioned query I'm simply showing the 5 number of records (which is a dummy value) but how sql server will determine that how many numbers of new records have been inserted?
Did you get my idea?
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-17 : 13:28:17
For that you need a timestamp column

SQL Server MVP

Go to Top of Page

LoztInSpace
Aged Yak Warrior

940 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-17 : 19:43:12
A timestamp might do it but to make multi-user correct you'd need the client transaction to insert into a separate table containing a "batch ID" identity and an optional timestamp. You then create one of those and store that ID against the records you insert into the table referred to in your original question.
Depending on if you want the most recent insert statement or most recent start of transaction, you'll need to get the highest ID or the highest ID with the latest date from the batch ID table.
Make sense?
Go to Top of Page

bandi
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2242 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-18 : 01:49:29
Use ROWCOUNT to get number of rows inserted... based on this count you can display those records on grid...

insert into tableName
SELECT * FROM tableName WHERE <conditions>
SELECT @@ROWCOUNT

But this method is depends on type of insert...

--
Chandu
Go to Top of Page

Abid

110 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-18 : 11:48:50
@ LozTInSpace

Hi. the timestamp is absolutely new thing to me. Totally Unfamilier to this. Please guide me further that i could overcome with my problem.
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-18 : 12:33:47
quote:

@ LozTInSpace

Hi. the timestamp is absolutely new thing to me. Totally Unfamilier to this. Please guide me further that i could overcome with my problem.

you could just add a datetime column defaulted to getdate() to get date value auto populated.

SQL Server MVP

Go to Top of Page

LoztInSpace
Aged Yak Warrior

940 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-18 : 19:55:04
@abid - I mean a date/time not timestamp. Visakh16 is correct that a datetime on your rows could work provided you don't need to worry about two users hitting the database at the same time. That might be ok if this is a schedule batch run of some sort.
What I meant was something like this (not in front of SQL Server so syntax is not likely to be correct):

create table batch
(
id int identity(1,1) primary key,
batchtime datetime not null default getdate()
)
insert into batch values () -- Can't remember how you insert nothing into a table.

insert into yourTable......
values (@@scope_identity)

that will group your inserts
Go to Top of Page

Paramasivan B
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-19 : 00:08:23
While you creating a table, add one column like "ID" with IDENTITY.
IDENTITY is making rowcount automatically. first inserted data id is 1
2nd inserted id value is 2 up to end
if you need last column means YOU CAN TAKE MAX(ID)
EX
CREATE TABLE LAST_RECORD(ID INT IDENTITY,SNO INT)
INSERT INTO LAST_RECORD VALUES(1)
INSERT INTO LAST_RECORD VALUES(3)
INSERT INTO LAST_RECORD VALUES(5)
Last inserted value is 5. if you need that below query is useful for this
SELECT * FROM LAST_RECORD where SNO=(SELECT MAX(ID) FROM LAST_RECORD)

Paramasivan B
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-19 : 01:02:37
quote:
Originally posted by Paramasivan B

While you creating a table, add one column like "ID" with IDENTITY.
IDENTITY is making rowcount automatically. first inserted data id is 1
2nd inserted id value is 2 up to end
if you need last column means YOU CAN TAKE MAX(ID)
EX
CREATE TABLE LAST_RECORD(ID INT IDENTITY,SNO INT)
INSERT INTO LAST_RECORD VALUES(1)
INSERT INTO LAST_RECORD VALUES(3)
INSERT INTO LAST_RECORD VALUES(5)
Last inserted value is 5. if you need that below query is useful for this
SELECT * FROM LAST_RECORD where SNO=(SELECT MAX(ID) FROM LAST_RECORD)

Paramasivan B

ID columns will help you to identify last inserted records only if you store MAX(ID) somewhere after each table population.

SQL Server MVP

Go to Top of Page

Abid

110 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-06 : 05:52:52
quote:
Originally posted by visakh16

quote:

quote:

then use SCOPE_IDENTITY to get inserted id value. In case of multiple value inserts use OUTPUT clause to get values from INSERTED table

SQL Server MVP

I tried to search on OUTPUT clause, but i didn't understand.
Go to Top of Page

Abid

110 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-06 : 06:00:21
@ Params, @ Visakh

I'm using these two queries.
Dim selSale As String = "SELECT * FROM SaleInfo WHERE Sale_Date = (SELECT Top 1 Sale_Date FROM SaleInfo ORDER BY Sale_Date DESC)"
Dim selSale As String = "SELECT * FROM SaleInfo WHERE Sale_Date = ( SELECT MAX(Sale_Date) FROM SaleInfo)"

Please tell me which one is correct.
Go to Top of Page

Abid

110 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-06 : 06:02:41
quote:
Originally posted by visakh16

quote:

@ LozTInSpace

you could just add a datetime column defaulted to getdate() to get date value auto populated.

SQL Server MVP

How to use GetDate method?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -