Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Multiple Smaller Datafiles vs Single Large File

Author  Topic 

Wsql
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-26 : 15:23:44
I have a 1.5TB database running on current environment (Windows 2003, SQL 2005 Enterprise Ed). The datafiles are stored in different storage disks that are added over time as the database grows. Now, we are going to migrate into Windows 2008, SQL 2008 Enterprise ED. The storage disk in the new environment is an 8TB single storage disk.

When migrating the database, we will be having multiple datafiles in one storage disk. I am considering merging the different files into one single file since I don't see the significance of having multiple data as long as they are in the same disk.

Any advice whether to consolidate or not is appreciated. Please discuss your thoughts in terms of performance, maintenance, I/O etc.

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-26 : 16:28:09
You can restore a file rather than having to restore the entire DB (Assuming the DB is laid out in a way that this would be beneficial).

-Chad
Go to Top of Page

Wsql
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-02 : 10:54:47
Chad, thank you for your comment. My problem is not with restoration. After restoring from whether a file group or entire DB, the multiple data files will appear. What I want to make a decision is wether to merge (consolidate them as one file) or not. Its like this- I have 10 datafiles for one database which belong to the same file group. These files were previously in separate storage disk. Now, after migration they are located in the same storage drive. So my question is, shall I consolidate them into one file or leave it as it is. I personally don't see the significance of having multiple files as long as they are in the same storage device.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -