Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 sql authentication mode

Author  Topic 

gagani
Posting Yak Master

112 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-27 : 06:47:24
Do we have to be in SQL authentication mode when restoring database
and creating sql jobs and linked servers? is it ok to create all of them in windows authentication mode?

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-27 : 08:44:09
You can do all of those in Windows Authentication mode - although I like to set up the server in mixed mode for a variety of reasons. For example, while certainly possible, I have found that setting up linked servers takes more effort with Windows Authentication (multi-hop problem etc. See here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2006/08/10/694657.aspx )
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-27 : 11:54:57
The 90 seconds or so of "more effort" with registering an SPN and ticking a single box in AD (to allow delegation) is well worth the security and management advantages of using Windows authentication with your linked servers.
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-27 : 11:59:13
More than the 90 seconds, it is the need to involve the sysadmins and network people who look upon me with suspicion when I make such requests.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-27 : 12:02:47
Ok, 5 minutes And if they know what they're doing then they understand why you need it and they will spend 90 seconds. Honestly, it is nothing more than registering the SPN (which they ought to delegate permission to the DBAs to do) and a single box checked in AD for the service account...

You need to explain to them

Sorry for the thread derail
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -