Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Sending db backup to Application vendor

Author  Topic 

Peter99
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

498 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-10 : 17:03:19
Hi,

We have one application that have some issues. Vendor ask us to send database backup to test in his environment.

I am not sure what is standard practice or what other DBA's are doing. Do we need any approval from management or what is usual practice.

Thanks

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-10 : 17:17:09
I don't know if there is a standard practice.

Whether you need approval from management or not depends on the company policy. You may want to consult your legal department before sending it out. Usually vendors should have NDA's with your company, but it is up to the legal department to confirm that to you. Also, if you are in a regulated industry there may be more stringent requirements about sensitive data.

One of the vendors that I have dealt with had a script that they would have us run on a copy of the database to scrub all sensitive information. And they required that we send them the log of the scrub script execution, along with the database backup (to protect themselves and us, according to them).

Another vendor just told me to send the database and it was up to me to scrub the sensitive data from the database tables.
Go to Top of Page

Peter99
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

498 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-11 : 12:39:10
Thanks for replying.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -