Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 MTA first vs. MCSA

Author  Topic 

Mac29
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-05-02 : 13:27:48
I thought about placing this in Other Topics but the 3 posts there don't seem to get a lot of attention.

I've been trying to locate what are called votech high schools that are MS IT Academy partners, which teach SQL Server. I cannot afford 'for profit' schools and votechs like PTEC are extremely affordable plus do a great job in many instances. MS does not track which IT Academys teach what so it's been extremely difficult to locate any that teach SQL.

However, a few votech high schools nearby will be offering MTA certifications in web programming classes that will get me prepared for Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Exam 98-364 - Database Fundamentals.

So my dilemna. First, I'm aware all education is self education. I was in a program w/covered SQL where the teacher did not know SQL. The school closed the class. I'm convinced an IT Academy school will speed my progress immensely. So straight comparison: if you thought you couldn't afford MCSA classes, how useful do you think the 98-364 will be? I'm thinking of immediately starting the 461, 462, etc. as soon as I can afford them.

I'm also thinking the web programming classes will get me through C##, etc. which I'd have to tackle anyway (in the grad degree I'm considering) and should help me w/better positions so I can afford expensive SQL classes. But it will take a year, maybe less.

What do you think?

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-02 : 18:14:45
Your ideas intrigue me and, yes, I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

=================================================
There are two kinds of light -- the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures. -James Thurber
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -