Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Total SQL Newb

Author  Topic 

IanHyman
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-06-20 : 16:28:38
Alright, to preference this, I have never even worked with SQL before. So if this question is off base, feel free to harass me all you want.

My goal is to make a shipment tracking website for my customers. I currently keep an internal list of everything my company sends out, and customers call and ask where something is, and I track it. What I would like is for them to be able to go to our company website and be able to track a their shipment from there. I would like it to look into the (excel)database I update everyday, and they can see the progress of their shipment. I know they can't look into my computer, but with our webhosting on GoDaddy, could I do a "live" update to a SQL database that updates whenever my excel one does(which is once a day), and then write a webpage that searches the SQL database? This would save me a lot of time, and would leave me more time to ask more questions on forums.

Let me know if this makes any sense or if all my run-on sentences threw off everyone.

Thanks,
SQL Newb

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-20 : 16:37:27
That is the kind of thing people do all the time, so yes it can be done. There are plenty of tutorials and books that demonstrate how to do similar things, but it is not something one can describe in its entirety in a forum reply. So go through some tutorials after you decide what platform you want to use for the web side of things that are supported by Godaddy. .Net and MVC4 with a SQL backend would be a great choice, but I don't know enough about GoDaddy to say if they support that.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -