Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2012)
 Can you preview a transaction before committing?

Author  Topic 

Goalie35
Yak Posting Veteran

81 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-15 : 12:01:49
Yesterday, my co-worker was working on running some update queries to some of our tables. On one update however, he accidentally updated the wrong field to a few hundred thousand records, so we had to go in & restore our backup to fix the problem. Needless to say, he landed in a lot of hot water. He was just running basic queries in Mgmt Studio. Ran his "begin transaction", saw he affected the correct number of records, then committed the transaction, not realizing he updated the wrong field.

So I was curious, does Management Studio have a tool or something where I can preview the results of a transaction before committing? So, if I were to run an update for example, I would do a "begin transaction", click something to preview the results & make sure it looks ok, then I could commit the transaction?

Thanks

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-15 : 12:05:37
Do it like this first:
BEGIN TRAN
UPDATE YourTable SET XYZ = 1.0;
SELECT * FROM YourTable;
ROLLBACK;
That will show you the modified rows, inspect them, and if you are satisfied, then
BEGIN TRAN
UPDATE YourTable SET XYZ = 1.0;
--SELECT * FROM YourTable;
--ROLLBACK;
COMMIT
The only thing is that, if the updates affect a lot of rows, the updates will take time, and the rollback will take time.
Go to Top of Page

Goalie35
Yak Posting Veteran

81 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-15 : 12:29:22
Perfect. Thanks James!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -