Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 Differential Backup failed

Author  Topic 

ajaykumar401
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-16 : 05:58:35
Hi,

I've scheduled M-Plan to perform Full & Diff. backups, till yesterday those plans were ran fine, but Today Diff. backup job failed with the reason below --

Executing the query "BACKUP DATABASE "" TO DISK = N'..." failed with the following error: "Cannot perform a differential backup for database "", because a current database backup does not exist. Perform a full database backup by reissuing BACKUP DATABASE, omitting the WITH DIFFERENTIAL option.
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

I already performed Full backup job, but still failing with the same reason...please help me..it is an emergency...

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-16 : 08:31:37
You are not doing a COPY ONLY backup when you take the full back up are you? If you are, that would explain the problem. You can find if your last full backup was copy only using this:
SELECT TOP ( 1 )
database_name ,
is_copy_only ,
backup_start_date
FROM msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily bm
INNER JOIN msdb.dbo.backupset bs ON bm.media_set_id = bs.media_set_id
WHERE database_name = 'YourDatabaseName'
AND bs.type = 'D'
ORDER BY backup_start_date DESC
If it was not copy only, then I don't know what else might be causing this problem. Look at all the columns (SELECT *) in the query above and see if any of the fields give you any clue as to what might be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-19 : 14:31:13
Are you - at any time after the full backup and before the next scheduled differential backup - switching the recovery model of the database?
Go to Top of Page

ajaykumar401
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-20 : 04:01:00
We are not switching recovery model of any DB...Not sure why Diff. backup job getting failed...
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-20 : 10:48:38
Did you attempt to run the query I had posted to see if MSDB recognizes that you have full backups?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -