Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 apps disconnecting

Author  Topic 

mccarron
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-20 : 19:12:23
Just took over our single 2008 OS/2008 sql server when we started having a major problem. Seems that every couple hours user lose connection to their SQL apps (accounting and crm) Paackages from different companies. They reboot and still can't get in. just hourglasses when they try to run the app. No error message at all not ever in event viewer. If I go into computer on the workstation I can see all their mapped drives and they are using dns off the server and can access the internet. I have to re-boot the server and then everything works ok for another couple of hours. Then we start all over again

Any Ideas

Mike McCarron

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-20 : 21:03:11
Can anyone connect to the database server, or is it only specific users? Assuming it is all users, can you connect to the database server using SQL Management Studio? Although this blog describes procedures that you go through when you are never able to connect to a server from a remote machine, some of the info there may be useful and applicable when you are in that state where you cannot connect http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2006/09/30/sql-server-2005-remote-connectivity-issue-troubleshooting.aspx
Go to Top of Page

mccarron
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-21 : 08:54:37
When it happens no one can access the database server, but I can access the management studio. I will read over you link and let you know. Thanks

Mike McCarron
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-21 : 09:52:24
quote:
Originally posted by mccarron

When it happens no one can access the database server, but I can access the management studio. I will read over you link and let you know. Thanks

Mike McCarron

I hope you meant that you can access the database server FROM the SQL Server Management Studio rather than access SQL Server Management Studio itself.

Are you launching SSMS from the computer on which SQL Server is installed or are you doing that from a remote computer? If you are connecting from the server computer, see if you can access it from a remote computer using SSMS.

I don't really have any good guesses as to why you are seeing this problem. Nothing on the SQL Server side of things comes to mind. It could be a network issue (in which case you won't be able to connect using SSMS from a remote computer), or it might be something in the client application.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -