Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 Clustering SQL Standard edition with 4 Nodes

Author  Topic 

imughal
Posting Yak Master

192 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-22 : 05:36:00
Hi,

I need help on following scenario.

I have Windows Server 2012 Standard edition and SQL Server 2012 Standard edition. I want to implement following scenario.

2 Node as cluster Active/Passive
3rd Node as Mirror
4th Node as Mirror / Replication

I know it will work on 3rd node but i am not clear about 4th node, Is this solution workable if so how pls guide.

What could be other solution to achieve this.

Pls also tell what are cluster node limitation in windows and sql standard edition.

thx

yelouati
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-23 : 23:44:16
Please consider always on with availability group. This will provide for all your mirrors. Although I am not sure about the Standard Edition.

Otherwise, 1 Cluster + 1 Mirror + 1 Replica is totally feasible. I have done it.
Go to Top of Page

imughal
Posting Yak Master

192 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-24 : 05:49:19
hi,

can u pls share step by step to do it.
thx
Go to Top of Page

sql-lover
Yak Posting Veteran

99 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-17 : 11:47:38
quote:
Originally posted by imughal

hi,

can u pls share step by step to do it.
thx

Building a Cluster has a lot of steps. Not only during the creation phase, but before that. Just to mention a few: picking the right SAN, disk or LUN layout, IP and hostname implementation, etc.

Google it and you will find lot of links that will explain.

However, I think what is really important on your question is knowing what you are trying to achieve. For instance: do you want HA? How many 9s are you willing to accept? What's your budget? What type of SAN do you have, how much RAM on every node and what's the SQL workload for your instances? How many databases and what type of workload do you have? Are you trying to use Mirroring as an offsite DR strategy?

You need to think carefully about all those and asses your current hardware.

Also, I do not know of any colleague that it is actually using AlwaysOn on a production at this moment. I would hesitate, at least at this moment, in using AlwaysOn on any live environment. I think that Mirroring finally got decent latency values on SQL2012, assuming that a correct network implementation is also made, of course.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -