Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Windows Authentication vs. SQL Server Login

Author  Topic 

denis_the_thief
Aged Yak Warrior

596 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-26 : 08:27:42
Just trying to get some opinions if we should set up Windows Authentication. Some people have been telling me that it is better but I wanted some other opinions.

We are a development department of about 25 people. We have 3 Levels of security - Developer, QA, DBAadmin - plus SA.

We have been sharing logins so far.

I like the idea of Windows Authentication since: people don't have to enter a Login and I don't have to worry about people giving each other logins, I can just add and remove them.

On the other hand, we haven't had any problems with SQL Logins.

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-26 : 08:57:11
Although I don't have any references or links handy, I think Windows Authentication is the preferred and recommended approach.

Specific to your situation: one of the advantages of Windows Authentication that I routinely make use of is the ability to add users to an Active Directory group and grant access to that group. This way, I can hand over the job of adding/removing users to the windows system administrators.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -