Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Multiple SQL servers on same machine

Author  Topic 

Igrok
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-27 : 16:33:43
I have inherited a server that has both SQL server 2005 express edition and SQL server 2008 standard edition installed, and databases being used in both. I can see all the active domain users on the 2008 SQL, but not on the 2005 Express edition. Is this normal? If so, how do I get access to a domain user to the 2005 express edition?

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-27 : 16:44:20
Could you explain what you mean? What are you looking at? sp_who? Security\Logins? I'm confused...

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

Igrok
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-28 : 11:36:04
Sorry, I am using SSMS to view the users who have access to the DBs. when I go to the security section to add users, I can't see everyone listed in the domain, only a handful of domain users and I can't tell what is different about those users as opposed to everyone else in the domain - they are all set up the same in AD.
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-28 : 11:50:19
quote:
Originally posted by Igrok

Sorry, I am using SSMS to view the users who have access to the DBs. when I go to the security section to add users, I can't see everyone listed in the domain, only a handful of domain users and I can't tell what is different about those users as opposed to everyone else in the domain - they are all set up the same in AD.

You should be going to the security section under the Server node of SSMS and adding LOGINS rather than going to the security section under a database and adding USERS.

Once you add the login, you can give them access to the database in that same dialog, or you can go to the security under the database and add them.
Go to Top of Page

Igrok
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-28 : 12:09:54
Thank you James K - that was the solution - I apologize for being dumb about it - getting a resource book today!

Thanks again! <thumbs up!>
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-28 : 12:25:29
You are very welcome.

No need to apologize. I am not telling how I guessed that might be the problem
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -