SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ
 
Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 High Availability (2008)
 log shipping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

India
194 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  08:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can we perform log shipping at the database level?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Trainee SQL Server Database Administrator
Miracle Software systems ,Inc.

djj55
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  09:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Log shipping is done on the database. The database cannot be in simple recovery mode. For log shipping, table by table is not possible.

djj
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

India
194 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  10:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djj55

Log shipping is done on the database. The database cannot be in simple recovery mode. For log shipping, table by table is not possible.

djj



When i read the differences between log shipping and the database mirroring,it was mentioned that database mirroring can only be performed at the database level. And nothing mentioned with log shipping.

my assumption is correct or not?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Trainee SQL Server Database Administrator
Miracle Software systems ,Inc.
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

India
194 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  10:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djj55

Log shipping is done on the database. The database cannot be in simple recovery mode. For log shipping, table by table is not possible.

djj



When i read the differences between log shipping and the database mirroring,it was mentioned that database mirroring can only be performed at the database level. And nothing mentioned with log shipping.

my assumption is correct or not?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Trainee SQL Server Database Administrator
Miracle Software systems ,Inc.
Go to Top of Page

djj55
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  10:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I do not have mirroring experiance. Log shipping is done at the instance level for databases. When you setup log shipping it creates jobs that do transaction log copy and restores on a database.

djj
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

India
194 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  10:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djj55

Sorry I do not have mirroring experiance. Log shipping is done at the instance level for databases. When you setup log shipping it creates jobs that do transaction log copy and restores on a database.

djj


Yes that's what i mean.i got my issue confirmed.
Thank you sir.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Trainee SQL Server Database Administrator
Miracle Software systems ,Inc.
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

India
194 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  13:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hai everyone..
Having a doubt..
Cant we take log backups of only few databases from the principle server and restore them on secondary?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
BTECH-IT 2013 Passed Out,
Trainee for SQL Server Administration,
Miracle Software systems, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
37157 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  13:51:34  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgondesi

Hai everyone..
Having a doubt..
Cant we take log backups of only few databases from the principle server and restore them on secondary?




Yes you can. Any log backups you take on the primary database that is outside of the LS log backup job must be manually applied to the secondary database with the proper mode (such as NO RECOVERY).

And to answer your original question, both log shipping and database mirroring are done at the database level.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

India
194 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  04:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tkizer

quote:
Originally posted by sgondesi

Hai everyone..
Having a doubt..
Cant we take log backups of only few databases from the principle server and restore them on secondary?




Yes you can. Any log backups you take on the primary database that is outside of the LS log backup job must be manually applied to the secondary database with the proper mode (such as NO RECOVERY).

And to answer your original question, both log shipping and database mirroring are done at the database level.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/



What do you mean by LS log backup here?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
BTECH-IT 2013 Passed Out,
Trainee for SQL Server Administration,
Miracle Software systems, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

djj55
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  07:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have multiple databases in an SQL Server instance and only some are in Log Shipping the ones that are not in Log shipping can have a manual transaction log backup that is then restored as Tara indicated.

djj
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

India
194 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  07:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djj55

If you have multiple databases in an SQL Server instance and only some are in Log Shipping the ones that are not in Log shipping can have a manual transaction log backup that is then restored as Tara indicated.

djj



Sorry sir, i dont know what a "tara indicated" is?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
BTECH-IT 2013 Passed Out,
Trainee for SQL Server Administration,
Miracle Software systems, Inc.

Edited by - sgondesi on 12/03/2013 07:59:50
Go to Top of Page

djj55
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  09:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tara is user tkizer.
quote:

Yes you can. Any log backups you take on the primary database that is outside of the LS log backup job must be manually applied to the secondary database with the proper mode (such as NO RECOVERY).

And to answer your original question, both log shipping and database mirroring are done at the database level.

Tara Kizer


djj
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

India
194 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  10:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djj55

Tara is user tkizer.
quote:

Yes you can. Any log backups you take on the primary database that is outside of the LS log backup job must be manually applied to the secondary database with the proper mode (such as NO RECOVERY).

And to answer your original question, both log shipping and database mirroring are done at the database level.

Tara Kizer


djj



oh..sorry i dont know that..!

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
BTECH-IT 2013 Passed Out,
Trainee for SQL Server Administration,
Miracle Software systems, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

India
194 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  12:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djj55

If you have multiple databases in an SQL Server instance and only some are in Log Shipping the ones that are not in Log shipping can have a manual transaction log backup that is then restored as Tara indicated.

djj



Thanks for the response.
I understood what you have told. I will get back to you sir.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
BTECH-IT 2013 Passed Out,
Trainee for SQL Server Administration,
Miracle Software systems, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
37157 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  12:28:13  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djj55

If you have multiple databases in an SQL Server instance and only some are in Log Shipping the ones that are not in Log shipping can have a manual transaction log backup that is then restored as Tara indicated.

djj



This is not what I meant. You CAN perform tlog backups on a log shipped database outside of the log shipping plan, you just have to manually apply (restore) them to the secondary server.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
37157 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  12:30:30  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgondesi

quote:
Originally posted by tkizer

quote:
Originally posted by sgondesi

Hai everyone..
Having a doubt..
Cant we take log backups of only few databases from the principle server and restore them on secondary?




Yes you can. Any log backups you take on the primary database that is outside of the LS log backup job must be manually applied to the secondary database with the proper mode (such as NO RECOVERY).

And to answer your original question, both log shipping and database mirroring are done at the database level.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/



What do you mean by LS log backup here?




When you setup log shipping through a maintenance plan, it creates SQL Agent jobs. When I am referring to the LS log backup, I mean the SQL Agent job for the log shipping plan that handles the BACKUP LOG commands. You can run this job to create additional log backups, or you can manually run BACKLOG LOG. If you run the job, the log shipping plan will copy those files and apply them to the secondary server. No matter how many times you start the job, the log shipping plan takes care of the rest. But if you manually run BACKUP LOG command, YOU have to manually copy the files and manually restore them WITH NORECOVERY in order to not break log shipping.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

India
194 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  04:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tkizer

quote:
Originally posted by djj55

If you have multiple databases in an SQL Server instance and only some are in Log Shipping the ones that are not in Log shipping can have a manual transaction log backup that is then restored as Tara indicated.

djj



This is not what I meant. You CAN perform tlog backups on a log shipped database outside of the log shipping plan, you just have to manually apply (restore) them to the secondary server.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/



I have understood this madam.
Thanks a lot for the response.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
BTECH-IT 2013 Passed Out,
Trainee for SQL Server Administration,
Miracle Software systems, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

India
194 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  04:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tkizer

quote:
Originally posted by sgondesi

quote:
Originally posted by tkizer

quote:
Originally posted by sgondesi

Hai everyone..
Having a doubt..
Cant we take log backups of only few databases from the principle server and restore them on secondary?




Yes you can. Any log backups you take on the primary database that is outside of the LS log backup job must be manually applied to the secondary database with the proper mode (such as NO RECOVERY).

And to answer your original question, both log shipping and database mirroring are done at the database level.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/



What do you mean by LS log backup here?




When you setup log shipping through a maintenance plan, it creates SQL Agent jobs. When I am referring to the LS log backup, I mean the SQL Agent job for the log shipping plan that handles the BACKUP LOG commands. You can run this job to create additional log backups, or you can manually run BACKLOG LOG. If you run the job, the log shipping plan will copy those files and apply them to the secondary server. No matter how many times you start the job, the log shipping plan takes care of the rest. But if you manually run BACKUP LOG command, YOU have to manually copy the files and manually restore them WITH NORECOVERY in order to not break log shipping.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/



I got your point clearly.
Thank you so much for the detailed response and your support.


--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
BTECH-IT 2013 Passed Out,
Trainee for SQL Server Administration,
Miracle Software systems, Inc.

Edited by - sgondesi on 12/04/2013 04:14:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000